1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Redesigned 2013 Honda Accord will include Plug-In Hybrid version. PHV available winter 2012

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/10/2013-honda-accord-coupe-concept-detroit-2012/

3 people like this.
  2. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

this is pretty exciting for the world of hybrids.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    120 kw -- that is a monster motor. I hope Honda is not falling once again into the trap of the previous Accord hybrid, of an expensive 'performance' hybrid. I also have to admit to skepticism that Honda will in one fall swoop compete well with Toyota, after a decade of poor value IMA.

I have my fingers crossed I am wrong.

4. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

you need big motor to recover the energy well/fast... sounds good to me actually.
    Previously they had tiny ones and it showed.

5. Teacake

Teacake OohShiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My mom and I are Honda fans admittedly. And while this new model looks and sounds cool...I just don't know if this can help them that much. It seems like too little too late when entering the market in the year of the PiP, V, and C.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It looks like everyone is coming out with plugins 10-20 miles EV range below 62 mph. These blended plugin hybrids from Honda (Accord PHV), Toyota (Prius PHV) and Ford (C-Max Energi and Fusion Energi) should provide the best bang for the buck.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, similar specs. Price is going to set these car apart one from the other. I remember bubbling excitement over the Ford entry -- until Ford announced pricing.

8. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

they did? i missed the memo - whats the pricing?

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Keep in mind, the graph is for weekdays only. Weekend trips are longer where MPG in hybrid mode become more important.

20 km = 12.4 miles
    30 km = 18.6 miles

[​IMG]

10. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That puts the volt on an island by itself. Looks like lots of exciting choices, consumer homework will be crucial more than ever.

11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Its good to see honda making a phev. The more choices, the more likely the car companies will find one that gets traction (pun intended). Does anyone know the technical details on how this one works.

The more powerful traction motor should allow the accord phev to stay all electric under heavier acceleration. It should also allow a non-blended phev with a bigger battery. I'm guestimating the fusion phev will beat this thing in range and efficiency, ford just has more experience doing these things. The prius phv should have around the same range, but more efficiency once that big battery is spent. The big thing will be execution and price - and that is a big unknown.

12. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

why would ford have more experience than honda?

13. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is this round-trip, or one-way?

P.S. I'd like to see a comparison of fuel consumption between U.S., E.U., Japan for these average daily commutes.

14. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ford is simply adding a bigger battery to its 3rd gen hybrid system. Honda is creating a new first gen hybrid system. Without knowing what is in the honda system, I can not tell which is technically better.

15. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Ford has no problem getting 41mpg out of a midsize Fusion Hybrid, while Honda struggles to squeeze 43mpg out of an aerodynamic Insight hybrid.

Update: Ford is claiming 47mpg for the 2013 Fusion Hybrid.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yea, the choices will be mostly 5 seater midsize sedan/hatchback/wagon or 4 seater compact Volt.

It'll be interesting to see the prices and MPGe. 2012 will be the year of the plugins.

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is "one day trip" so it includes all the miles from multiple trips in a day.

As for fuel consumption vs. driving distance, the data in the graph below was collected by the Prius PHV prototype.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  18. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    usb, the ideas in the chart are good, the content though is not. The prius liftback line is misleading, as it should be a range, with decreasing average as distance goes up. At least that is my experience. This is what gives a phev its better cumulative efficiency. In hot weather with precondition air this should even be a bigger gap. There is ofcourse some electricity used not on the chart, as you always point out, but most of us would make that trade off. The shorter the trip, the bigger the payoff, as the prius engine does not have the warm up penalty.

19. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Someone needs to sponsor an academic challenge to find an energy efficient way to pre-heat the engine block, using heat exchange with the engine coolant fluid. Think of solar roof-top hot water heaters.

I'm surprised nobody has invented a heat-exchange system (think of a radiator or HVAC core) that takes the excess heat from the water that goes down the drain when you shower in the morning, and transfers that heat into the engine coolant system of your engine block in your garage.

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yup, the graph is just for gasoline consumption. The prototype Prius PHV requires about 3.6 kWh for a full charge. The production model is said to take 3 kWh in the Japanese model.

Interesting, the prototype model gets about 10 miles before switching to HV mode. The production model should get a few more miles from 3 kWh charge.