1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Refurbished Battery From Interstate Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by AllenZ, Aug 7, 2014.

1. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just met a floor cleaning machine (commercial) service tech in our company. He was servicing the batteries (total 6 inside, deep cycle type) for that machine. He mentioned that he buys refurbished batteries for his own truck and boat from Interstate Battery (
    Interstate Batteries | Every Battery for Every Need
    ). It's fascinate, because I did the same 3 years ago for my 2004 Prius. It only cost me $30. After 70K miles, it still working great.

Maybe some of you who is willing to take some risks will consider this option to save some money. I don't think refurbished ones are any different from new, except the housing is old.

Happy Priusing!

Allen

Jon Hagen likes this.
  2. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Allen !
    I did not know that Interstate would refurbish a battery, although I have used low cost "Blem" batteries from Interstate with excellent results.
    An Interstate "blem" battery is a new, never sold battery that has been in dealer inventory for what Interstate considers too long.(possibly a year) The dealer will strip off the Interstate decals and substitute an "Econo battery" or some such label. It is sold for 30%-50% of new price with only a 90 day warranty.
    I bought one last summer for one of my trucks. I asked the counter guy for a group 31 "blem". We chose one from the blem pallet in the shop, walked it over to the bench and did a load test on it. It tested a bit above the batteries rated amps, so I considered it new. Cost me $40 for a $100 battery. Have had no shorter life from a "blem" than any fresh Interstate battery, so me happy :)

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Big battery or 12v battery?

5. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    $30. Come on! :)

6. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You maybe right. I did not ask for Prius battery, but they check the size and said yes they have a refurbished one, same size.
    As long as it's 12V, I don't really care much else. It's just used for starting the system, not to crank the starter anyway.

7. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have purchased from Interstate at their offices blems and refurbished batteries. They are great deals. The blems I have gotten look just like a new one, interstate stickers and all. The refurbished ones have no Interstate decals. $30.00 for $100 battery that lasts 4 years, is hard to beat!

8. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A 'Prius battery' is about the safety of humans, not about the starting of the car. AGM means less acid to hit your passengers, (the battery is inside the passenger compartment) and externally vented just means less explosive hydrogen in the passenger compartment. Neither effects the battery's ability to function, just passenger safety.

9. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    But coincidentally the AGM functions better too. (y)

10. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The way I look at it is like this:

Toyota sold more than 1 million Prius, and I have not heard of one incident of battery explosion. But let's say there is one case, and I missed. Chance of battery explosion is 1 in a million.
    However, the battery is under a hard plastic cover, so the chance of acid spill to passenger department when it explode is about 10%.
    The carpet like material above the plastic cover might reduce the chance of spill to 1%.
    I happen to have the habit to always use the plastic sheet covering trunk area, 99% of time, which further reduced spill chance to 0.1%.

So I admit, we do have about 0.1% chance that the acid will reach back of my head, when battery does explode.

Luckily, I still have thick hair shielding my back head skin. To cause real damage, the acid needs to hit the windshield and bounce back to my face, at 0.01% chance.

That's 0.01% chance on top of one in a million, the chance of battery explosion!

By saving $100 on battery, I dramatically increased the risk of being hurt by acid on face due to battery explosion, from almost zero to the level of 0.01% * 1/1000000.

Based on NHTSA, fatality rate of automobile per 100 million miles is 1.xx on average.
    (http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/812055.pdf)
    If I drive 25K per year for 40 years in my life, the chance of death due to car accident is roughly 1%. That's obviously much much more scary than acid accident.

So I decided to pay more attention on driving safety, and that $100 may help on that matter, such as buying a cup of coffee.

Hope my "analysis" will ease the concern. Happy Priusing!

11. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The real Prius battery is externally vented, so 0 chance.
    Normal car battery outside, no chance for hydrogen to accumulate outside the battery, so minor chance.

Only when you try to use a normal battery in an enclosed space is there any real risk of hydrogen fire.

Rare as we both agree they are, here is the page for insurance adjustors:
    Investigating Automotive Battery Explosions | PropertyCasualty360

#11 JimboPalmer, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  12. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am not sure if this is the car with exploded battery. If not, then it is a typical way of media exaggerate the claim to mislead public. Insurance company has vested interest to make us believe that there are so many dangers out there, and it justifies the premium we are paying. The matter of fact is, nowadays cars are much more safer than before, partly due to easy law suites and disproportional penalty when company lost a case. Many people think that's a good thing, but they don't realise they are paying heavily for the last 99.99% safety, both on purchasing and operation (mpg), whether they want or not. Like many other things, this is a form of hidden tax.