1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Regretting not getting leather

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by RamesesThe2nd, May 7, 2013.

1. RamesesThe2nd

RamesesThe2nd 2012 Prius III - Classic Silver Mettalic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got 2012 Prius III last October. I traded 2010 Highlander SE with leather heated seats and at that time I was certain that I didn't want leather, lumbar support, heated seats, home link rear view mirror, etc...

Now 6 months after the purchase, I love my Prius, but I am regretting that I didn't get leather. Cloth just feels cheap compared to leather. What are my options to have all these Prius IV options? Should I go to dealer and see if I could trade-in my III with a IV? Or are there feasible and affordable after market options?

I might ended up keeping my III and not do anything to it at all. Just trying to assess, if it's worth it.

Thoughts?

Blu-ray likes this.
  2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do a forum search for Katzkin. They are leather upholstery that is installed after the cloth factory upholstery is removed. Many of us have either installed them ourselves or had them installed. Seat heaters are an option.

3. RamesesThe2nd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I saw Katzkin, but didn't see anything about center panel and cloth on door panels. I want to make sure that it doesn't look half-assed. Is there a way to add lumbar support on driver seat with Katzkin?

4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Katzkin I got included door panel covering and center panel covering. I don't think Katzkin does lumbar supports.

5. RamesesThe2nd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How much did you pay for it? Did you install it yourself?

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I paid a bit over $1000 including some upgrades and installed it myself. I wouldn't install it myself again, I would much rather pay the $400 or so labor to have it installed.

The base version starts aroun $700-$750 and looks a lot like the Prius factory leather except Katzkin doesn't include a leather covered steering wheel.

RamesesThe2nd likes this.
  7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you go to a dealer to see "if" you could trade in your 3 for 4? The answer from the dealer is going to be YES. The real question is "IF" you should.

If you really can't live with cloth, I'd look at the Katzkins or just call around to upholestry shops. You do realize that if you upgrade in a Toyota Prius you won't really be getting leather anyway? You get "Softex". That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it is not leather.

It's the "Etc" in your post that worries me. If it was one single upgrade you desired I'd say just go with an aftermarket option. But if it's Leather, Lumbar Support, Heated Seats, Home Link and ETC....????

Well how dissatisfied do you think you would become if you don't have these things? I don't think anyone but yourself can answer that for yourself. All those things can be had aftermarket, but it does start to add up.

The only thing I found I really, really couldn't stand in my Prius Two, was the horrific plastic steering wheel. Yeah, the cloth interior may not be the most luxurious, but so far it seems durable and IMO is nice enough. But that's just me.

RamesesThe2nd likes this.
  8. RamesesThe2nd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I want:
    1. Heated Leather Seats.
    2. Auto-dimming rear view mirror.
    Nice to have:
    1. Power lumbar support.
    Don't care about much:
    1. Softex steering wheel (I had it in my loaner Prius V and didn't even notice it).
    2. HUD
    3. JBL audio
    I plan to keep my Prius long term and I am very happy with my Prius. If these upgrades become too expensive, I might just keep my III as is and no do anything to it at all.

9. bullet875

bullet875 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    You may be happy in the summer when your butt doesn't stick to the seat. I have the softex and prefer it over my former leather seats.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The covers xs650 listed are awesome.

If you want something a little cheaper and DIY then look into the Clazzio seat covers. They can be had for as little as $250-$400. You can also purchase door inserts to complete the look.

See post #2103 for pictures of the door inserts. They look great.

What did you do to ur Prius today???? | Page 106 | PriusChat

11. RamesesThe2nd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Stupid question: How do I go to post 2103?

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a whole lot easier to do when I don't forget to post the link. ;)

What did you do to ur Prius today???? | Page 106 | PriusChat

Here is a picture of my old 2012 Three with Clazzios in black. I upgraded to the leather insert. They were just installed and still had wrinkles. The sun/heat later fixed most of the wrinkles.
    [​IMG]

13. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I initially planned on installing an auto-dimming mirror after purchase (since I didn't want to pay for the Four) but people have mixed impressions about it in a Prius hatchback. The spoiler does a good enough job blocking the headlight glare that it tends to inhibit the dimming of the mirror.
    In the end I found that the spoiler worked well enough for me.

14. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Did your Clazzio's come with that leather cover for the center console?

At this point, I really don't mind the cloth upholstery on the seats, but I do place my arm on that center console a lot when I am driving. I know it's going to wear out quickly and start to look bad.

I know it's a small thing, but if that piece is part of the Clazzio's, it would be a motivator for me to think about the upgrade in the future. I thought and think Clazzio's look great (Considered for My Fit).

15. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since it seems you are only talking about two upgrades for certain...the leather, heated seats and maybe even the power lumbar could all be done at once....I think I'd investigate aftermarket upgrades instead of a whole trade in.

Just a warning, and I have NO EXPERIENCE with this, so note to everyone, if you disagree that's okay. But I remember reading a few threads where people were disappointed in the auto dimming rear view mirror because they felt it did not react quick enough.

Maybe I'm more of an "Entry Level" guy...but for me toggling the rear view back at night, doesn't seem like that bad of a thing. And I kind of like that I'm in control not some mirror that has to react to the environment. If I find myself blinded by following vehicles? I'd rather quickly reach up myself, than sit and hope the mirror figures it out.

If you have your side mirror adjusted correctly they shouldn't be an issue. So I've never really had a problem with glare from other vehicles at night. And I drive a lot at night.

16. RamesesThe2nd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I called Riggs Brother in my town to see how much would they charge and they are quoting:

Leather Seats: $1600~$1700
    Door Panels: ~$500 for all four doors.
    Seat Heaters: ~$500

They said, my seat sensors might require some sort of calibration after the installation from Toyota and that could cost me another $100 to $200. This is turning out to be more than what I expected. I was hoping to get heated leather seats done for under $2K.

Leather Seats | Riggs Brothers

Note: They do use Katzkin leather seats.

17. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You need to try another installer, the door panel material is included with the Katzkins and all 4 doors should be no more than 2 hours labor for a pro.

18. Let'sGo!

Let'sGo! New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow, that looks great! Now I need to budget it in for mine.

19. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I went the Katzkins route, but had I seen Clazzios beforhand I would have given up some fit quality for lower cost and ease of installation. I like the Clazzio styling better too.

20. Let'sGo!

Let'sGo! New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Question: The dealer told me not to get aftermarket seat covers because of the airbag in the side of the seats. Do these covers accommodate the air bag?