1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote AC on key fob

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ronlprius2, May 21, 2012.

1. Barbara R

Barbara R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not that I've noticed. Plus if I'm close enough to see the lights, I'll certainly arrive at the car before much cooling has happened. And yesterday, when it was very hot here, the cooling didn't seem to be working well at all. I tested it by getting in the car and having my husband turn on the remote AC. The air was cool-ish at best. Then I started the car and immediately got blasted with ice-cold air. It seemed to work much better a week ago when I first tried it, so I wonder if I should be taking it in already to be looked at.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hard to say, why not try the whole ten minutes, sitting in the car while dh presses the button. bring the owners manual with you.:cool:

markabele likes this.
  3. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    No, your observation matches mine. When in the remote A/C mode, the A/C is operating at only a fraction of what it does under "READY" mode. Under the best situation with a full 10 minutes running, I've found the cabin only moderately comfortable, and then as you observed, when the car is powered up and the full A/C runs, the cooling is remarkably more robust.

4. Barbara R

Barbara R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's weird that if it's not that hot out, say 80, when I get to the car it's very cold, as if AC has been running full bore. But when it's very hot out, 90's, the car is barely cool. My dealer said something weird about the remote AC only brings up the temp to match the outside temp and no cooler. e.g. if it's 90 outside and much hotter in the car, remote AC will only cool the car to 90 inside. Doesn't make sense to me! Why doesn't the AC just blast, period?

5. srl99

srl99 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In my 2014 base it blasts cold air. It also blasts cold air when I first start the AC when driving. Is there some option you can set, somewhere? (Fan speed when starting AC?).

I've found remote AC useful when sitting in the car, waiting, on a hot day.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if it's based on the amount of charge in the battery?

7. Barbara R

Barbara R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm pretty sure battery was almost full, but I'll confirm on future tests. AC was set to Auto, Lo, which blasts icy air as soon as I start the car. I look through the window and all the right lights are lit, but when I get in, clearly only lukewarm air has been blowing.

If it keeps happening I will contact the dealer. It's not a feature I even knew existed before I bought the car, but if it's supposed to work, I want it to work as designed.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    might as well get it right while it's under warranty!