1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote car starter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by feemia99, Oct 29, 2005.

1. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Jan 5 2007, 09:41 AM) [snapback]371308[/snapback]</div>
    That's the first thing I thought of.
    That sounds downright dangerous.

2. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Jan 5 2007, 12:41 PM) [snapback]371308[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like it is a dealer option in Japan, but not North America. As was mentioned near the beginning of the thread, it does sort of go against the philosophy of the car (fuel efficiency & low emissions) to have a device that increases idle time. :huh:

However, being from the Great White North, I can appreciate the usefulness of such a feature, though I have never had one myself. I think a reasonable (and less expensive) alternative that is available from North American dealers would be a block heater...?

In addition, warm coolant is stored in the Thermos to help with re-warming the car for the commute home on those cold winter days (this year notwithstanding!), so at least "cold starts" will not be quite as cold.

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    If you read my signature panel.................

More likely it is voiding all warranties if I'll have any electrical malfunction in my car, it is NOT installer friendly and I used American name brand products to make it work. There is not any retail product ready made for our cars. I installed a remote start and security system in a two way RF device.

$850.00 will get you one installed on 2nd generation Prius in Long Island NY.

4. Whiplasherman

Whiplasherman New Member

Everyone talks about how great a remote starter is for warming up the car, but down here in Mobile Alabama I need a remote starter to COOL the car down!

The AC on the Prius is pretty anemic, in my opinion. The dealer says it's working fine, but on summer afternoons it will go for 20minutes on full recycled air before the car cools down to the high 70's. And yes, I have done all the conventional things to cool it down faster .... drive with open windows to vent hot air, leave the windows cracked (can't do often because of daily thunderstorms), the useless window shades, tinting, the ridiculous solar vent fans. All that will maybe gain me a few minutes advantage. On occasion I have walked out, started the car, locked it with the manual key, and given it 10-15 minutes. That does the trick.

When it's 100 degrees with 100 percent humidity, the remote starter is more of a necessity than a luxury! I can't show up to my next meeting with sweat stains all over my shirt! (And the stench!)

5. Ajourney101

Ajourney101 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got an Avital 5305 in my 2nd gen prius for 350.00 parts n labor

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.