1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote Engine Start for 2010 Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Kameel, Aug 10, 2009.

1. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    MJV,

There are many pushbutton start vehicles now which require this sequence. The reason being, if you don't depress the start button on the dashboard and wait long enough for the body control module to take over operation, the vehicle will throw a CEL along with a plethora of other codes.

By making the car shut down and then restart "normally" before the driver puts the vehicle in gear, the correct sequence of events occurs through the BCM and fault codes are avoided.

2. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you know who makes the remote start kit? What is the name on the key FOB?

I have the Toyota OEM remote start. It does turn off the car when I open the hatch.

Turning off the car is strictly a safety percussion. Will your car run more then 10 minutes at a time? Did you have to give up one of your key FOB's? Some systems require one to stay in the car for the remote start to work.

The best solution is an XpressKit XK05 and a remote start like Viper products. The XK05 does not support the 2010 Prius yet.
    With the XpressKit and viper you will be able to start your car from a mile away with full feed back. It will also allow you to keep the car running as long as you like.

3. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That is not true. It’s strictly a safety feature.

Using the remote start is just like starting the car while sitting in the seat. If they did not care about safety they would just keep the doors locked. When you get close to the car you would unlock the doors and take off. The car is already running.

Toyota stops the car when you open the door and they only let it run for 10 minutes for safety reasons.

The ExpressKit connects to the brake pedal sensor and the pushes to start button. It disables the transponder and starts the car as if you were sitting in the seat. It will not turn off the car when you open the door. It will let the car run for ever after a remote start.

4. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Judgeless,

I can report beyond a shadow of a doubt that for some systems (2009+ Murano, for example), it is true. I ought to know -- we had to fix plenty of them when they first came out.

5. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe we are talking about two different things.

In a 2010 Prius you can press the brake pedal and press the stat button in the car. The car will start. You can get out of the car for hours while it is running. When you go back to the car and open the door the car will not shut down.

You can get in and out of the car many times with out shutting down the engine.

Remote start can work the same way. To make things more safe Toyota shuts the car down when you open the door after it has been started with remote start. This is strictly for safety reasons.

Like I said, maybe we are talking about two different things. What did you have to fix in the Murano? When someone got out of the car and back in while it was running did something physically break that needed repair? I do not understand.

6. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is an example of a wire diagram for connecting the a remote start to the Prius.

[​IMG]

Once this is setup it fully emulates you sitting in the car and starting the car.

7. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Judgeless,

On the Murano and the new Maximas, if one uses the remote start to start their engine, then proceeds to unlock the vehicle, get in, depress the "Start" button on the dashboard and put it in gear without waiting for the system to recognize the actual key fob (about a five-count), the system will throw a plethora of CAN-BUS, Start/Access, BCM and ECM faults. None of these will affect drivability.

So, instead of asking people to wait for a five count between the time they press "Start" and the time they put it in gear to drive off (which they would never do, causing much gnashing of teeth), the remote start systems were reprogrammed to shut down the vehicle once the driver's door was opened. This way, the Start/Access and BCM modules could go through a normal start up procedure with respect to authorization recognition and customers could drive off in a warm vehicle without throwing a number of fault codes and warning lights.

Once the modules had gone through a normal start procedure (and not the bypass procedure invoked by the remote start module), one can enter and exit the vehicle while the engine is running without causing spurious fault codes.

8. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is clearly a design flaw that Nissian needs to address. It sounds like it takes the Nissian equipment to long to detect the key FOB. It has nothing to do with reason the Prius turns the engine off when you open the door. It strictly is a safety measure.

Again I could go to my car right now and start it. Get out of the car, close the door, lock the door manually and leave the car for hours. I can come back to the car and unlock the door. Then I can push the brake pedal, put the car in gear and drive away.

Do you understand the difference of a manual lock and an electronic lock? One uses a servo and the other uses your hand.

As soon as ExpressKit releases a firmware upgrade for the 2010 Prius the car will not shut down when you open the door.

9. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm not sure what this has to do with the civil discussion you and I are having, so I'm guessing it wasn't directed at me.

As for the safety feature of having the car shut off after 10 minutes, I'm not entirely sure this is a bad idea. Being away from the car while it's running is inherently risky. You're unable to mitigate the consequences of a catastropic failure. You're unable to monitor exhaust and any potential problems a buildup of said gasses could cause.

A 10-minute run time, with the option to renew one time before the doors are physically opened, seems to be the norm. And, it seems as though this would be sufficient to accomplish the intended goals.

10. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes that was directed to you and yes I am keeping this conversation civil. I was trying to make the point that locking and unlocking doors have zero effect on a car started with a remote start or with out a remote start.

The only reason Toyota turns off the car when you open the door is for safety reasons. Toyota only lets the car run for 10 minutes for safety reasons also.

Neither are limitations of any technology or the how the car works. When the ExpressKit is released both safety features will be removed.

These safety features are getting out of control. Soon the car will shut down after driving for an hour to avoid drive fatigue

11. brianric

brianric Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How do you get the outside mirrors to clear using the remote start? I can only get the front defrost to come on remotely if I leave it in that position when I shut the car off.

12. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mine works the same way. Only the front defrost comes on when the car starts using the remote start or just starting it.

13. mjv

mjv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Judgeless,

The remote start I have is a Python, RPN 7211P model that has start/stop feedback. I can open the hatchback and the vehicle stays on, but if I open any other door the vehicle will shut off. It was the first one the dealer had installed, I didn't need to sacrifice a Fob to get it installed.

The remote start I had in my Alero didn't shut off when I opened the door, unless you tried to put it in gear without depressing the brake first, so that is what I was previously used to happening with remote starts.

14. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That's all well and good. What I fail to see is where manual vs. power locks entered into the discussion until you brought it up in what I have now confirmed as a snarky manner, given your response.

Now, vis-a-vis your:
    The Prius does the same thing. The system doesn't immediately go to "READY" the instant you press the POWER button. It has to go through a start-up sequence first. So, if it's a "design flaw" in the Murano as you state, then it will also be a "design flaw" in the Prius as well, as they both exhibit the same behavior.

And, vis-a-vis your:
    Again -- at that point the vehicle has gone through a normal starting sequence and not the bypass sequence invoked by a remote start command. To paraphrase from your earlier post: Do you understand the difference [between] a start command using the "POWER" button and a start command using a Remote Starter? One uses the button on the dash and the other uses a button on the remote.

15. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Chrisj428 I do not want to sit and argue with you. I know for a fact the only reason Toyota turns the car off when you open the doors is for safety reasons.

As I posted before, when 3rd party remote starters are released they will not have this safety feature.

It has zero to do with engine codes going off as you keep posting.

They are both 100% identical. The only difference is a third party remote starter will keep the car running and toggle the servo to open the door so you can enter and drive the car away.

16. Vapor

Vapor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was quoted $895 at the dealership to add remote start to my 2010 II. Seems a bit steep. Naperville IL.

17. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I paid $349 from Prius chat shop. I had the dealer install it for free when I bought the car. That was my only discount from paying retail.

It looks very easy ot install. I did not have access to the tech stream software required to install it at the time. I do now. I just need the $500 cable.

If I had to do it over I would have waited for a 3rd party solution.

18. Radarguy

Radarguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had the remote start “thrown in” when I purchased my new Prius. After a few cold winter mornings the remote start has proven itself worthy. When its cold outside the remote start will automatically turn on the front and rear window defrosters. The 10 min run time has been more than enough to melt the snow, and make the interior nice and toasty.

19. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is not correct. Only the front defroster will start when you use remote start.

The rear defroster will not turn back on when you start the car using a manual start or remote start.

20. Rachmaninov

Rachmaninov Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do you (or anyone) know of a way to make it so the car doesn't turn off when the door is opened? That safety feature really bugs me since I only use the remote starter in a situation where I can see my car.

Best Regards,