1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote Engine Start for 2010 Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Kameel, Aug 10, 2009.

1. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    This has been discussed several times on the forum and no one has found a way to change this "feature", so we live with it.

2. rpeek2

rpeek2 Dry Ice Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This question has been asked before so please indulge me. While I have all of you remote starter owners in one place would you tell me the distance/range, in reality, your are getting. With the OEM or after market units.
    Thanks a bunch. (Possible Christmas gift for my cool wife)

3. rpeek2

rpeek2 Dry Ice Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  4. rpeek2

rpeek2 Dry Ice Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Guess not.:(

5. elevine

elevine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have tried it - paid $600 for it installed on a new 2010 Prius. It works however i have found it finicky as one user noticed on a previous note. Have to do it twice often or more. Is there a knack that i am missing although i follow directions. My view is if when you press the remote unlock the first time if the light blinks on the car you are close enough to communicate and the remote starter should work although it might not catch t he first time. Does anyone agree with that. By t he way i dont think i am getting much more than 60 ft. Would have liked more.

6. elevine

elevine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    have you figured out t he finicky part. My remote is finicky. need to do it several times before it catches. Perhaps one needs the rythym

7. Creaky

Creaky Still motorin...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    From a 10th floor window in an office building to my car parked below on the street, it responds, inconsistently, and only if I hold the remote to underneath my chin pointed upwards to the top of my skull. Trying again from a 7th floor window, I have no problems in starting my car remotely. (Sorry, this is the only metric I have which gives a sense of working range.)

8. seal2cc

seal2cc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Was thinking of doing this but think now I'll pass. Not absolutely needed and sounds like more inconvenience and uncertainty for me, who would be a casual, infrequent user.

9. elevine

elevine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would say about 60 ft maximum but very inconsistent. The lights always flash consistently with the first two holds but it often just doesnt start. and than a little close and it starts. This is toyotal installed for a price of $600. Response consistency more than anything bothers me.

10. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    60ft for me using the OEM remote start.

Soon I will have the Viper Smart Start system that has an unlimited range. I will be able to start the car from anywhere in the world that has cellular coverage. And it will run for as long I set it to run.

11. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is not completely true. There are systems that used the second keyfob and keep it in the remote start. They emulate pressing the brake and pushing start. These systems will run for ever and never have a 10 min cut off.

It will make the immobilizer worthless because the key is always in the car.

12. elevine

elevine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any tips on inconsistency or does yours start every time if your within range.

13. rpeek2

rpeek2 Dry Ice Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks to all who responded to my initial question on range. I have since installed a Viper system which has a much longer effective range. Further info can be found in the last couple pages on a previous thread:

[​IMG] Remote Start Doesn't Keep the Car On

14. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do not have it yet. The install date is Feb 15th. From what I read it will start the car every time and it will provide feedback that it is started.

I have auto head lights. I am having it wired so no lights ever come on. The car will start and no one will know its running.

15. incognito

incognito Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You just start the car power with remote control. Car will decide on its own if has to cool (regarding of temperature you adjust) or heat the interior (winter time). In freezing temperature computer will decide if rear window and windsheeld heater has to be on. If you not plugged the electric block heater and the temperature is below
    -15C (Canadian winter) car will not start with remote control (excessive fuel consumption in cold motor). It will start no problem if you enter the Prius and push the power on. I guess there is fuel temperature sensor (they tell me) and it forced you to check the fuel gauge when you starting the power manually.
    It is charging the battery to higher level (using some energy to transfer to heat) so I can use the electric energy while driving. Cost me $600. I use almost every day in winter time. Love it.

16. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is the thread were the guy claims the temp is -15C were the remote start does not work.

17. Savantster

Savantster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a thread ( http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...404-remote-starter-failed-start-too-cold.html ) where we can talk about the cold start problem.

18. Savantster

Savantster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually, the remote start has been turning on my rear defrost when it's really cold. I've looked through the window before opening the door and verified it after reading your post. .. what I'm not sure about is if there is a sensor doing it, or if it was because I turned it "on" before shutting off the car when last I used it. -- I will experiment more once I get my car back from the dealer; but you can have the remote start turn on rear defrost..

19. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I will check today.

20. Savantster

Savantster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've re-confirmed that both defrosters come on with the remote when it's cold enough. Once I had both set when I turned the car off, the other time I had not set them myself but they both still came on. I think incognito is correct in that there are sensors involved.