1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote Fob stopped unlocking doors but starts car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prius-walla, Jan 30, 2014.

1. prius-walla

prius-walla Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    had a strange issue arise today. used the car this morning and all was well.

came home this afternoon and clicked the remote fob to unlock the car and..... nothing. no indicator flash and the central locks didnt work.

thought the battery was gone in the fob so went inside and got the spare fob and tried that. clicked that and again nothing.

replaced the battery with a new cr2032 battery and nothing, checked the 12v battery via cars diagnostics and a healthy 12.6 and 14.1 outputs. central locking works via the button on the car door. so fuses, motors etc are ok.

went online and saw the fob reprogram threads. been spending the last 7 hours trying to reprogram the fobs. searching the net and trying any 'new' or different methods suggested.

i get to the stage where the car locks and unlocks to confirm its in the ADD mode then press the lock and unlock buttons on the fob and get no response from the car. i have tried every single permutation of presses, 1 second , 1.5 second, 2 second, 4 flashes on the red light.. none work

also tried the extra steps suggested by other members .. still nothing.

what am i missing?
    what havent i done?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've never heard of a Fob needing re-programming. Do they lose their programming? Out of your 2 remotes, do you have 1 that works? Are you sure the replacement batteries are good? I know they are new and not used, but doesn't mean that are good batteries.

3. prius-walla

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My friend had exactly the same issue a few days ago in his prius. He found the thread on here about reprogramming the fob and that resolved his issue.
    He forwarded the thread to me but it isn't working for me...
    I was saying how odd it was and the very next day it happens to my car
    Yes it's true the new battery could be a dud but both fobs aren't being recognized by the car. I can't surely have 2 batteries or fobs dying on exactly the same day.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes I agree that you shouldn't have 2 dying remotes all together. If both remotes don't function properly, there is another issue. I still can't believe there is a re-programing function???? There must be another issue.

5. prius-walla

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought 12v battery. But that's fine. I believe the reprogramming function is called the 'chicken dance' where you open and close doors to reteach the car to accept the fobs signals and unlock the doors.
    so many videos and tutorials showing how to do it. All very similer. And it seems a very similar process for almost all Toyotas and Lexus cars.
    My fobs start the car fine but won't unlock. apart from reprograming i can't think what else would cause this issue

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    do you have the sks smart key? do you have to put the key into the slot to start?

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I thought that "chicken dance" is to make another duplicate key. I didn't think that was a "re-programming" function.

8. prius-walla

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whats so frustrating is that in the videos they make it look so easy with little care and it works... Me... Seven hours in the cold and nothing.

9. prius-walla

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Non SKS keys.

Ive read several times tonight where people used the chicken dance to regain remote opening when it had stopped

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I've done that "chicken dance" many many times, it's used to duplicate a "new" key. I don't think it has anything to do with re-programming a non-responding key. That's why your 7 hours isn't getting any results.

I might not be up to date with this....I'm really not aware there is a re-programming function.

11. prius-walla

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It worked for my friends 2007 t4 just days ago. But I need help as it isn't working for me.

What am I missing or am I doing something wrong

12. prius-walla

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Started working by itself this morning. Both fobs operating as normal.
    That was a random episode. Don't know what I can learn from that...

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The only thing I can think of is one of the buttons on your transmitters were stuck, thereby constantly sending a signal. Even if you pressed unlock or lock, it wouldn't register. But this theory would only hold true if you had the transmitter with the stuck button with you the entire time.

14. archae86

archae86 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How certain are you that the 12 V battery is really okay? As a first question, how old is it?

Our first symptom of a decaying 12 V battery was erratic fob behavior, and of course the battery passed the dealer tests. I replaced it anyway, and am glad I did (and no more fob trouble). If yours is over four years old, I think the folk wisdom here is that you be best off replacing it. Even if it has nothing to do with this problem, it very likely will cause you some mysterious problem as it slowly deteriorate sometime in the future.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perhaps the government was temporarily beaming some rays in your direction...

16. 00-00

00-00 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    What if the receiver in the car malfunctioned for a bit of time?