1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote Panic Button.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JohnnyPrius07, Feb 19, 2009.

1. JohnnyPrius07

JohnnyPrius07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Someone sent this tip to my email. I also think it's a good Ideal.

PUT YOUR CAR KEYS BESIDEYOUR BED AT NIGHT

Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents your Dr's office, the check-out girl at the market, everyone you run across.

Put your car keys beside your bed at night. If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies.

This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this:

It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break into your house, odds are the burglar rapist won't stick around... After a few seconds all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that. And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there ..... This is something that should really be shared with everyone. Maybe it could save a life or a sexual abuse crime.

P.S. I am sending this to everyone I know because I think it is fantastic. Would also be useful for any emergency, such as a heart attack, where you can 't reach a phone. My Mom has suggested to my Dad that he carry his car keys with him in case he falls outside and she doesn't hear him. He can activate the car alarm and then she'll know there's a problem.

Attached Files:

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is there a reason you used such a large font and obnoxious color? It doesn't really help get the point across.

Tom

3. JohnnyPrius07

JohnnyPrius07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :welcome:
    No, I did not select any font and did not change any thing (copied and pasted directly from the email).

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, doesn't that just make the smart-key superfluous?

If you have the remote in your hand you may as well press the button to unlock the car and if you want to have it in your hand when you get out of the car you may as well carry the key in the slot on the dash as put it in your pocket.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind that many factory systems have a 1 min timer so they will shut off after a minute, and rightly so. I'm sure that a minute is more than enough for a would-be car thief to run away.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Car alarms have to be one of the stupidest things ever (not referring to the OPs idea of using the alarm as a household panic alarm). I suppose at one time they might have worked, but nowadays no one pays any attention to them, other than to be annoyed by the stupid person who doesn't know how to shut off their car alarm. You can break into a car with a honking alarm by simply looking embarrassed and/or stupid.

We get them up here all the time in the summer. Now keep in mind that this is a village of 600 people. Auto theft is not a big concern. If it was, more people would remove the keys from their cars. So in the summer tourists come up here and lock up their cars, go into a restaurant, and then set off their car alarms. The dumb things are beeping all of the time: "Beep, beep, beep, Honk, honk, honk, WooowoooWooowoooo..." It makes me contemplate destructive forms of silencing them.

Here is my best idea so far: Do you know what a Travel Lift looks like? A Travel Lift is a self propelled crane that is used for launching large boats. It has huge tires and drives over and straddles a boat, then lifts the boat up with slings, after which it can drive away and lower the boat into the water. That's what I want to do with car alarms. Our village is on the water, so I want a village ordinance that says cars with alarms running more than two minutes get dipped into the lake. We can use a Travel Lift, pick up the offending car, take it down to the marina and dip it in the water until the alarm is silanced. After that we can put the car back in the same place. I think that's fair enough.

Tom

7. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Unless you leave in a two room house, park the car in the second room and your bed is near the dividing wall, I don't see how the Prius FOB will activate the car alarm from within a norma home.:D

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    JohnnyPrius07, the next time you receive junk like this please go to www.snopes.com to verify the accuracy. Anything you receive that says "pass it on..." is just spam. Now, pass this on to everyone you know.