1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote wont work anymore

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kaotickevin, Jan 27, 2015.

1. kaotickevin

kaotickevin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have my 2011 and all of a sudden my car stopped being able to sense it in the car or outside the car. The lock and unlock function still works which is puzzling, and when I tapped it to the power button in effort to start the car, the car still does not start and says it can't locate the key. I dropped a 85lb weight on it the other week at the gym but it appears there wasn't any damage when I took the key apart, and it was working fine up till now. The spare works fine, but I'm just hoping I don't have to buy another key =/

Any suggestions on where to buy it, or is the dealership the only real option. TIA

also noticed this is the same part number, and since i only need the new circuit board I'm assuming, I wonder if its the same size as the prius one

Attached Files:

2. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Swap the battery between the spare and and broken one and try... You could just have a low battery.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Into the fog of London Watson! We have a clue!

Dash your hopes...a purchase is in your future!

Mendel Leisk and RRxing like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    definitely try a new battery before a new fob. also, check to make sure a button isn't stuck. did you put the battery back in the right direction? if you do need a fob, do your due diligence, it's a complicated process and a lot of threads here on the subject, if you don't want to spend $400. at the dealer.

5. kaotickevin

kaotickevin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    haha yea not a low battery tried a new one guess ill start looking for a replacement

6. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had this happen shortly after I got my car. I wasted money on a new remote battery, but the problem was caused by the smart-key functions being inexplicably turned off. I was able to turn it on again by navigating in the "car" menu in the head unit.

I've noticed a few strange things like this happening; some times things can spontaneously reboot themselves with different settings. In lieu of a better explanation, I'll put it down to errant EM field-eddies created by the hybrid system.