1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing tar from bottom panels

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Fahfoofnik, May 27, 2014.

1. Fahfoofnik

Fahfoofnik Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I did a search of the forums, but my Search skills must be lacking…feel free to post an already-existing thread if you're able to find one that helps me with my question…

It's construction season around here; new blacktop going down on most routes I take. Neither touchless car washes nor washing my Prius C 2 by hand removes stuck-on tar to the bottom-most panels on my car.

I'm using a washcloth or a soft sponge + car wash soap to clean; and no amount of elbow grease or scrubbing gets the small specks of tar off. What I want to avoid is scratching the clear coat/paint. I do have a dual-purpose sponge I imagine is for cars (I have *not* tried it yet; I inherited it from family); on one side is a soft sponge; the other side is a more coarse, white stiff-to-the-touch surface that tells me it's for scrubbing. I'm afraid to use it though; obviously the sponge gets soft when under contact with water; but the rough feel has me worried I'll scratch the paint.

Is that sponge with a more coarse side ok to use? I can take a pic when I get home if that helps…or if not, what's the best method/way to get tar/blacktop/hard black specks off that bottom-most panel? Thanks for any suggestions!

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The only thing that works is a solvent based "bug and tar" remover. You can find it in any car parts store.

Fahfoofnik likes this.
  3. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    WD-40, penetrating spray, or even charcoal lighter fluid work on tar. Some work better than others, depending on the particular blend of tarry goo you picked up.

Don't use a sponge, don't use a scrubby pad, and don't use a bristle brush. Use a small section of a now-trash cloth with your petroleum distillate on it and rub off the tar. Fluid is cheap, so add more, rub lightly, and don't scrub scratches into your paint.

When done, handwash your car and wax the parts your cleaned tar off of. May as well wax the whole car...it's not like they're real big anyway.

Fahfoofnik likes this.
  4. Fahfoofnik

Fahfoofnik Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hey thanks all! I'm not sure how I forgot about the bottled tar remover, I remember getting tasked as a kid to get the tar off of my Mom's 1980s gray Buick. Whatever stuff we had at the time barely worked; it was a major pain in the butt. Here's hoping the latest concoction works better.

Appreciate the WD-40 trick & advice. I'll skip the souring-type materials. I figured they'd be bad news, but wanted confirmation. I've got plenty WD-40 at the house now, so I'll start with that stuff & move on to the bug & tar remover if needed…followed by the wash/wax. I've waxed it at least once already & was pleasantly surprised at how little time it took! Benefit of having a small car!

Thanks again.

iPad Air ?

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Kerosene works good too. A bit better:

Get a rag fairly wet with kerosene, then pour a dab of liquid car polish on it. That'll take off most anything, and leave some wax as well.

Kerosene is a low volatility hydrocarbon, not prone to strip paint.

Fahfoofnik likes this.
  6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Second that on the Kerosene.

Fahfoofnik likes this.
  7. Shibby

Shibby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dryer sheet dipped in water, reapply wax.

20131111_151152.jpg 20131111_152526.jpg

Mo G and Fahfoofnik like this.