1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Renewable energy price trends

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tochatihu, Nov 27, 2014.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Saw that... it does not sound exactly correct to me. I suppose there could be some renewable projects selling off the power at extreme discounts. But to say that proves wind/solar is cheaper than fossil fuels is misleading not to mention subsidies. However, where renewables makes sense (TX etc) fine.

...in other news, price of crude oil crashed today as Saudi Arabia refused to cut output to stem the glut of supply (no joke)...

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The dice are rigged.
    Renewable energy prices are linked to time of use, but the utilities use their own fossil fuel assets first.

A better question is whether the current PPA pricing is sustainable, meaning is there enough profit to build more.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    To consider this fairly, we'd need to look at subsidies to both fossil E and renewable E. The topic seems quite tangled. Has the older (our largest global industry) outgrown its need for subsidies? If not, when will it do so?

Has the younger outgrown its need for subsidies? If not, when will it do so?

I suppose that at least a few here have read that Solyndra (the famous bad boy) has recently gone from red to black.

But those memes cling, do they not?

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Solyndra .... the poster child for US short-sightedness in its dealings with China.