1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Repaint

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by datavortex, Oct 23, 2005.

1. datavortex

datavortex New Member

Hello,

I am curious about how much it would cost to repaint my driftwood baby to a lighter color. I took the color that I could get, I'm not terribly fond of it. I like dark colors, but not so much in the Atlanta summertime, so I think I want something lighter and more reflective. Something silver or more white.

I've put a few bumps and scratches on the paint through stupid mistakes, so I need to get it patched up anyway. If I could pick her up from the body shop looking like new with a different color, that would be much better.

Has anyone repainted the visible areas of your car to a different, non-factory color? Is this prohibitively expensive? Anyone know the ballpark for this kind of thing?

Thanks.

2. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think prices can vary from a few hundred dollars to over a thousand. In this case, I think you tend to get what you pay for. I'd suggest pricing it out at a number of places and having them show you work they've done. If they do a lot of paint jobs, I'm sure you could go by and see a vehicle that's been recently completed.

3. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi: I've read various threads about repainting a Prius. If your car needs to be repainted anyway, you'd probably be ok changing color while you're at it. The way to do it properly, as I've read, involves painting the insides of the doorwells and hatch, not just the exterior. When my car was banged up by a hit and run driver, the body shop (probably the best one in Seattle) showed me how they painted the interior surfaces, even those that would later be hidden when the interior was put back together. Their goal was to repair the car to orignal condition.

A paint job like that will cost you several thousand dollars and might affect the resale value of the car. If you plan to keep your Prius for a long time, and going through a paint procedure like this probably means you do, then the resale thing isn't a big deal.

Go for it, and post photos. I'm sure there are lots of Prius owners out there thinking of doing the same thing.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    a word of warning:

DO NOT go to maaco!

the new paint on my old Buick started peeling 2 weeks after the warranty expired.

i suggest if you're going to do it, make sure you get a good, long-lasting warranty along with it. it will not be cheap, but it has been done.

good luck!

5. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Read and consider this - do not re-paint your car just to change colors. Sell it and buy the color you want. A quick paint job is likely in the $3K range and a good one will be closer to 5K. If you opt for a $1K wonder, your car is going to look like a piece of junk in no time. Best bet, sell this one and buy the color you want.
    Good luck -

6. datavortex

datavortex New Member

Thanks for all your advice. I will follow it and just get the nicks and scratches fixed up at a body shop.

7. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

Maaco has 5 different paint jobs, ranging from cheap but bad to expensive but probably good. Did you get the most expensive paint job from them? The one with the basecoat, clearcoat, and urethane?

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I got the next-to-top-of-the-line and spent almost a month's income (I was in high school then) on that paint. Followed instructions to the letter. Sure enough, 2 weeks after warranty expiration it started. I took it in and complained and they essentially told me to screw off.

I discourage everyone from using their services.

9. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I also bought the next to the top of the line paint job and had the same experience, except I didn't go back to be told to screw off.

10. thecan

thecan New Member

Everyones comments on here are pretty right on. Especially about Maaco, another place to avoid at all costs is Earl Scheib. These places are cheap, even their expensive top of the line package is worthless in the long run. My father has been in the paint business for over 35 years so I have tons of experience with comparing these places. Price estimates given are pretty right on as well depending on locations. 5k and up sounds about right for a 'good' paint job done right. A word of warning for those getting estimates: look at the brand of paint they are using on your car. There are some really crappy and cheap brands that will save them money and lose you the quality of your finish over time. Always make sure they are using Dupont for the base coat and pearl finishes. We have tried everything, I mean everything and Dupont always holds up. 5 star brand makes an excellent clear coat too. Ask around for them, call automotive paint supply shops and have them priced. They are really not that expensive if you want to buy them yourself to take to the paint shop. They WILL give you a discount if you bring your own paint. Also, for extra protection and if your budget allows, add an extra coat or two of clear while they are at it, it wont add much to the cost of the overall paint job and will easily add 5 years to the life of the paint. Yeah I know this is a HUGE investment and decision, but we are talking about customizing your Prius so that it is like no other... the resale value will go up because of it, peoples heads will turn because of it and if you take good care of your finish and its done right your paint will last far longer than any factory paint job could ever dream of.

Afterwards: This is the product we recommend for all new paint finishes after they have cured: 3M Use it every month and your paint job will keep looking better and better.