1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Repair Manual for Collision Damage (2000 Classic edition)

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by SteveWlf, Jan 5, 2013.

1. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    While searching for good indepth manual coverage for both my Gen1 and Gen2 Pruis, I came across an offering on ebay for the Repair Manual for Collision Damage (NHW11 2000). I purchased it and it arrived today. Wow! what a "Keeper"! Over 70 pages of very good and detailed drawing and details on major body component replacement. Not the fenders/door "Nuts & Bolts" stuff from HS shop. This is a serious guide for dealer or private shop repair and replacement of major structural damge. Quarter panals, Pilars complete, Rocker panels. From Radiator core supports to Rear end damage into the understructure.
    Now their not talking about "tin knocking", infact they do draw limits on some extreme metal working and tend towards replacing with new metal and welding by spot, tack or mig welding. They address metal component bonding and weather sealing as well.
    Basically, after following their procedures and recommendations your vehicle repair are at their approved quality, which IMHO is OEM.

The manual format is in stardard 8 1/2 X 11" so I plan to copy it for my own digital library, thus making it easier to "Cut and Paste" into forum discussions.

If the forum moderators can figure out a way to get Toyota's permission to post it here I will upload it to the file library. Pub.No. BRM096E
    (I haven't yet, been able to find any guidelines on this matter).

So, not to bad for less that $20.

Steve (still learing, at 75)

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Uh, I have a similar problem with SAE papers.

So I just make screen shots and stitch them together and then post the JPEGs with a URL that gives no clue as to the source. If you find them, the JPEG has appropriate images of the text giving proper attribution.

E-copyright . . . what a pain!

Bob Wilson

3. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like electronic format so I can keep it on a computer in the garage and a copy with the owners manual on CD in the glove compartment. You can get it electronically via Toyota Service for $15 at:

Toyota Parts and Service

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    About the same as the $14.85 I paid Toyota for the paperbound copy when I bought the car. I don't mind paying Toyota a fair price.

-Chap

5. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the link. So I paid a little more on ebay, live and learn. I'll call the dealer and order the GenII collision manual since that is my main interest.
    The three volumes of the repair manual are pricey and probably could be beat on ebay. Since I have the elect. one on PDF already I might watch for the the other two on line, used.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you like PDF (or you don't mind PDF), another option is just to do the cheap two-day subscription at techinfo.toyota.com and download the PDFs for your own use.

-Chap

7. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got off the phone with the dealer after being referred there by Toyota Parts and Service. Their information was a bit flaky regarding model years but I did convince them that I wanted a Gen2 (NHW20) Collistion Repair Manual Publication #BRN124U. As might be expected, then want a model year. I use 2007, as that is what I use in my online search. Their search came back with model years 2000-2004 using that Pub. number. Now that can't be right. 2004 would be a different body type altogether. I pointed that out and the fact that 2000- was covered by Pub. number BRM096E (the manual that is the subject of this thread).

Then they told me the even if Toyota listed that manual at $14.95 they would be charging about $25 for it plus shipping and handling so I should figure around $45-50 total. He agreed when I said I would keep looking else where.

Steve

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How strange. I guess I never went through I dealer when I bought my manuals, I just phoned straight to Toyota's Materials Distribution Center at +1 800 622 2033 because that was the number shown in the back of my owner's guide. I see that number is also shown on the toyotapartsandservice web site as an alternative to calling a local dealer.

I see Toyota now also has a distribution agreement with Helm, Incorporated, like so many other vehicle makes, though Helm seems to be out of stock on that particular manual, and they want $30 when they have it. (Also, Helm's search isn't very smart: if you put in 2007 it won't find the manual, but it will if you put in 2004 when the body style was introduced.)

I guess one nice thing about the techinfo electronic versions is they're not likely to go out of stock!

-Chap

9. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I called the number on line, same as your owners manual and before I could say two words, they ask if I was a dealer of individual owner. Tben they gave me the number for Helm Inc. (sounded like off-shore operator, not very knowledgeable). As you stated, "on back-order". Price I got was $35 + something that sounded like processing fees, etc..for something over $50. Still might be cheaper through the dealer with all the markups this sub distributor is after. (FWIW. the Helm Inc. number is (800)782-4356 )

Is the "techinfo" you mention, the Toyota subscription/pay per hr/day/etc. site?? And it that download a PDF or printable file?? The older Gen1 manual is less than 100 pages and I don't mind printing out my own.

Steve

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, so the MDC has now outsourced all individual owner sales to Helm? Good to know, I guess. A lot of other makers went that way first and it's probably economical, but it was kind of nice while it lasted to be able to order from Toyota's own MDC.

The last information I had was from a few years ago and at that time it was that the manuals had been split up into many small PDFs, maybe corresponding to sections in the bound manual, to be more suitable for interactive use where you drill down to the section of interest and view that small PDF. There was no convenient one-step way to download all the chunks in one go, but some people would just get a low-cost two-day subscription and spend some time downloading so they could have the manuals on hand for offline reference. And by and large, those people have treated Toyota fairly and used their downloaded files for their own reference, and let others know where and how to get them from Toyota also.

I haven't looked over the site lately so I couldn't say how much it's changed over the years.

-Chap

11. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just looked over their fee(s) and offerings. I will schedule a couple days where I have the time and bandwidth to download what I want.. Seems a fair price.
    Steve