1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace front brakes and rotors at 43,000 miles??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Frank2013, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Frank2013

Frank2013 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would like to get the opinion of people about the following behavior by a dealer.

A lady I know has a 2005 Prius with 43,000 miles. She lives in Montreal (the car was bought new in California). She takes it to the Toyota dealer twice a year, to change from summer to winter tires and back, and do other maintenance. She drives about 5,000 miles per year.

They called her to tell her that she had to change the front breaks (pads and rotors). They said the pads were 90% used up and might not last the winter, and the rotors were rusted and needed to be changed.

Going through the maintenance invoices, I saw they measured the break pads several times in the past. At 31,000 miles they were at 7 mm, then at 39,000 they measured 5 mm. That was a year ago, and now it's supposed to all gone? Strange.

By the time she received my advise it was too late to stop the job. I told her that when picking up the car she should ask them for the used pads and rotors. She got there at 4:30 pm, asked to be shown those parts, and was told the mechanic had already left and they would call her the following day (today) to go pick them up. I also told her to ask them how 5 mm cold have been used up in only 4,000 miles. They told her some bs about very fast wear in city driving, and how taxi cabs had to change the front breaks every 20,000 km (about 12,000 miles) !!!.

I have a very distinct impression this dealer is not being honest. The rotors were always rusted, for years, and it’s hard to see why they had to be changed. Going over the past maintenance invoices, I see they keep performing these expensive "scheduled maintenance" checks about every 5000 miles. This time they came up with quite an expensive job that I believe was probably not necessary. I wonder if anything can be done. Complain to Toyota about this dealer?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i doubt it, you're usually on your own with dealers, i suppose it's worth a go though. it's buyer beware out there, and they love to prey on the innocent and ignorant. being a social sort of country, might canada have some good consumer protection laws that might help her out?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've found break wear seems to accelerate towards the end. Plus my attitude towards the pads as thickness drops evolves: I start getting nervous if there's only (say) 3 mm left, am inclined to do the deed sooner than later.

Plus: low mileage in Montreal, winter after winter? Could be partially or completely seized guide pins. Why not just pull a wheel and see for yourself what pad thickness is remaining?

4. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    An eight year old car in Montreal? I would fully expect the rotors to be rusted and in need of replacement.

Particularly if the car is parked outdoors overnight.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  5. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine were replaced at ~55k miles, just before I bought it. New discs and pads.

On most cars that I have owned I would never see more than 25-30 on pads, but as previously stated, I don't like when the pad gets low. The braking capacity always to be less and less, even though there might be meat still on the pad. I'm the sane with tyres, grip lessens as the thread drops

Have look see for yourself

6. Frank2013

Frank2013 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As I understand it, this car uses very little friction braking (only under 7 mph) as most of the braking is used to recharge the battery, so the pads aren’t used. That’s why the disks on all Prius in wet weather are rusted. But that’s normal. I find it very hard to believe that with so little brake use you could go through 5 mm of pads in just 4,000 miles. People report going well above 100,000 miles on the original pads. Nor am I convinced that the disks (rotors) needed changing just because of rust. The car is parked inside a heated garage at night and during working hours. The total brake job was 500 dollars.

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When used in non-salty conditions and non-commercial use with non-aggressive driving, the Prius pads and rotors will last 100K to 250K miles. Seriously.

If the lady you know is a speed racer that brakes hard all the time, I could believe it pads being worn out around that time. But keep in mind the majority of non-panic braking in a Prius is regenerative and the friction brakes never even get touched until the speed drops to around 7mph or less and by that point there is very little momentum still needing to be slowed. This is a very different model than all non-hybrids on the road.

Being in Montreal, there is considerable salt usage on the roads. I think the dealer is fishy because I would expect either clean rotors and worn pads, or rusted rotors and almost-new pads. Having worn pads and rusty rotors? That doesn't make sense. If you are driving like a mad-woman and braking hard all the time, the small amount of surface rust that would appear over night would be scraped off by the friction brakes themselves and wear out the pad as in a normal vehicle.

If the regenerative braking is used like on most Prii, the surface rust could most definitely grow and become a problem that requires replacement, but then the pads should look great.

To me this sounds like the old wallet emptying trick. Surprised her invoice didn't include a fee for filling up the blinker fluid.

8. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Might be case of just popping the discs and pads off, giving them a good clean and grease the calipers carriers and putting them back together. I do that a couple of times a year on every car I own as it gives me piece of mind as to what condition they are in and that I cuecked them myself

9. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Be careful you know what you are doing in the Prius. The Prius is never off unless you pull the 12v battery. It is very possible that as you are cleaning greasing the pads, the pistons shoot out of the brake lines as the onboard computer tries to repressurize the system hopefully not into your flesh.

10. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for that. The more I read about the car, the more I realise that it is not the same as most cars

Good advice, thanks again

11. Frank2013

Frank2013 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, I find the pad thing incomprehensible, unless the rust itself can cause the pads to wear fast? But they've always been rusted. This woman does not like to drive fast or brake hard at all. Quite the opposite. And I don't understand why rust is suddenly such a problem. Nor do I understand why it cannot be simply scraped off with a lathe. Also fishy that they did not have the parts available and the mechanic had already left at 4:30 pm, at a time of the year when they are super busy because everybody is putting on their winter tires. Really fishy.

12. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    when I traded in my 2007 Prius, it still had the original brakes on all four wheels
    I think when I did the 95k maintenance, they said it still looked new

13. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Actual the advice around here is even simpler. Every few months or so, get up to ~40mph (but under 42mph) shift into neutral and then brake moderately hard. This is all you need to scrape the rust off that may accumulate and make the rotors nice and shiny. Shifting to neutral is the key because it disables regenerative braking.

14. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Rusty rotors can accelerate pad wear, but not likely to the point that they wear out in under 40k on a Prius.
    Could the rotors be rusted enough to require replacement, possibly, due to excessive road salt use.
    Rust serious enough to warrant replacement will typically intrude deeper into the surface than could be cut while remaining within tolerance.

Most likely scenario is that the brake rotors were rusty enough to at least be suspect, and there is little reason to go through the process without changing the pads at the same time, but we will never know. 40k is certainly early to need brakes on a Prius. My 08 with over 190k still has the originals all the way around!

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This depends strongly on the driver and conditions. Regen braking is limited by the maximum allowed battery charge rate, and will produce only moderate braking at low speed and light braking at higher speeds. 'Normal' drivers doing 'normal' braking will spend a good deal of their braking time above this limit and engage the friction pads, though this can be greatly reduced with a bit of care and foresight.

That battery limit is roughly 25kW, and differs somewhat on different generations and versions. Full force highway speed braking can exceed 500kW, which must come almost entirely from friction.

16. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Believe me, I have had rotors rust beyond the point where they can be turned. Rotors that are that rusty will provide poor braking performance.

And yes, the rust can prematurely wear the pads.

I'm hoping that you succeed in retrieving the rotors that were taken off.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my '04 with 95,000 miles when i sold it, was getting close to needing new front pads. it spent 5 winters here and 4 in vermont.

18. Frank2013

Frank2013 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Still trying to retrieve the used rotors and pads. Dealer has gone silent and is not returning messages today. In the meantime, thank you all for the comments.

19. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tony 2K1 was quite correct about the Prius brakes. Under no circumstances try to remove the brake pads without first disconnecting the 12 volt battery, do this before removing a wheel to work on the brakes as this allows time for the backup power supply capacitors to discharge before you get to the pads. The dismantling procedure after this is much the same as any other car with one other difference. Do not undo any hydraulic bleed nipples or lines to push the caliper pistons back in as this again will give problems. Just push them back in. You cannot bleed the brakes in the normal way.

John (Britprius)

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Another precaution I've heard is to (after everything is bolted up) pump the brake pedal several times, to restore pressure, before reconnecting the battery, to avoid the car detecting low brake fluid pressure, lighting a warning light. Don't know how needed this is (or effective), but it couldn't hurt.