1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace front brakes,rotors shims..OEM or Not? $469.00??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by fish3d, Sep 18, 2013.

1. fish3d

fish3d Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi ,
    I have a 2005 Prius. It has about 85k miles on the car and is used 2/3 for hiway driving.
    My local dealer said that I need to replace the front brake pads, shims and rotors. I was quoted
    a price of 469.00
    The price alone of the parts at the dealership is about 290. 53.00 for 2 pads,99 for each rotor
    and 36 for a pair of shims.
    Should I buy differernt (Not OEM) parts elsewhere...and if so what is recommended? Should
    I buy the OEM and have them installed elsewhere at a cheaper price? Will it matter if the new front
    brakes aren't OEM like the rear brakes. It's my understanding that the OEM pads are semi-metallic.
    Does it matter if the replacements I get aren't? Thanks in advance for any help

2. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I would probably get a second opinion on the need to replace them at all. I'm thinking it's unusual to need the brakes replaced with those miles unless you or the previous drivers were very hard on braking. The regenerative braking typically does a lot of the slowing without brake contact. I had my tire guy give them a quick look and he said they were good in my 05 w/110k miles several months back. Many seem to last 150k or more.

3. fish3d

fish3d Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your help. I forgot to mention that the dealer said that the rotors(not sure which component) he was talking about were down to four millimeters and were pitted. My wife uses the car and goes easy on it.

4. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree with SteveLee in that you probably should get a 2nd opinion. My 08 has over 190K on it (2/3 highway) and still has the original front pads and rear shoes. There are some cases where the rotors rust so badly that they require replacement, but those are the exception and not the rule.

5. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A second opinion won't hurt if you have reason not to trust the dealer. The brake life reports I am reading here are all over the map from 40k to 200k, so it's not unreasonable to think yours are due. And honestly, that's a decent price for OEM done at a dealer.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why was the dealer looking a your brakes in the first place?

Yeah.
    I'd get a second opinion. 500 bucks isn't highway robbery but it's not cheap for that job by half...

EDIT: I was wrong. I misread the original post and thought that the 500 bucks that for front and rear brakes.
    They want 500 bucks for the front brakes only????? :eek:

THAT is highway robbery.

7. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Autozone: front brake rotor $30 x2 :D

8. fish3d

fish3d Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I called numerous dealers just to cost out the parts...front brake pads,shims, rotors. The dealers high to low
    price varied by over 150.00. I found a Toyota dealer online from the midwest... Olathe Toyota and they sell every part at least 10% below the lowest price I found (including shipping) from the five different dealers I called. I am buying the parts and having a "local" do the work who will charge me 50 bucks an hour. He comes highly recommended.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you ask your "local" to inspect the brakes to see if any work actually needed to be done? That should be step one, before you purchase the parts online. Considering your odometer reading and usage there is a reasonable likelihood that no repair work is needed at this time.

10. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Make sure he unhooks the 12 volt battery before he starts your brake job.

11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I second this. Just had an email from a friend "posts here occasionally" that was having a brake service by his local garage. Guess what, they did not disconnect the battery and popped the front brake caliper piston then tried to bleed the brakes.

John (Britprius)

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Post a picture of the front rotors. They can be seen easily through the wheel spokes, we will then have a good idea as to there condition.

John (Britprius)

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pitted rotors are almost standard on a Gen 2 Prius especially if your not "cleaning" them. They'll groan and scrape like crazy after a rain and if the car is not garaged that can be a daily occurrence.

All you need to do is get the car up to speed say around 70 mph and with no one in front of you or behind you put the car in neutral and apply the brakes. Don't slam them on just apply the brakes like your slowing down a little. Do that a few times. Putting the car in neutral removes regen braking and you'll only be on the car's hydraulic brakes.
    Which are really crappy!

Most of us do this all the time. It keeps the rotors clean and removes the surface rust. If you don't the slightest wet will make the brakes really grabby.

Have to do it all the time especially if you live in a wet area. I have no idea where you live as you didn't fill out your locale.

If you have never done this the rotors may be to far gone. Provide photo please like John said.

fish3d likes this.
  14. fish3d

fish3d Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in Connecticut and the car is not garaged and many times is not driven for a few days. I have to borrow a camera
    and then I will post the picture as requested. On the days when the car is used as a commuter car it does get about
    60 miles of hiway driving (approx 2-3 days a week). At present the brakes do not groan or scrape....there is no noise
    and in fact they feel quite normal. I didn't know you had to disconnect the 12V battery for this brake job. Also thanks
    for the tip about keeping them clean. Again I THANK everyone who posts for their time and effort.

15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What I would do if I owned a Prius up north and had to leave it outside is get wheel covers. On eBay there cheap. Just throw them on the wheels. If you get a big brake job the new shiny rotors will just rust right back up without cleaning or protection.

Due to regen the hydraulic brakes do not get used 100% unlike normal car the brake pads never fully engage.

16. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd say you should get a second opinion. I own a 2004 Prius with 135k miles and my front brakes are nowhere near to needing servicing, not to mention the rears!!!

17. fish3d

fish3d Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I looked at "wheel covers" on E-Bay but perhaps I don't understand. They didn't appear as though they would block rain,etc from blowing into the wheels. Are you referring to some sort of tarp like material that would cover the wheels
    in their entirety? If not I'm unclear how the wheel covers I viewed would help.

18. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The dirty little secret about rust belt rotor rust is that it's mostly on the backside (splash shield side) and is not something that will "clean off".
    If the car parks outside (and I mean conventional cars too) expect to be in for rotor replacements by 5 - 6 years.

19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

They really help. I used them on a car I had to store outside. Only need 1 pair. But the protection they give to the wheels alone is worth it. They go on really fast they just hang on the tire.
    Look around they sell a vinyl outside fleece inside cover thats really nice.
    But you still should clean the brakes with the method I suggested. You get so used to it that now if I see the battery in green and don't want to charge anymore I'll just go in neutral and use the brakes to stop.

Here some cheapo canvas. Can't lose at this price may buy them myself. They keep the wheel really clean and extends any tire conditioner you have on the tires. Conditioner lasts a real long time if covered:

fish3d likes this.
  20. doogster

doogster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2008 Prius needed pads and rotors in NJ. I bought the pads on Amazon for $23 and the rotors were $20 each. The little mom and pop shop up the road from me does brakes for $59 per axle. I gave them the parts, 1 hour later my Prius rolled out with brand new pads and rotors for a grand total of $122. That was a year ago and they still look brand new!