1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace Stock JBL Green Edge speaker? And keep stock amp

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Hortevin, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Hortevin

Hortevin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I would like to know, if someone here has already tried changing the stock speaker of JBL Green edge audio system of Prius gen 3, with stock amp?
    I want really to keep stock amp and stock wiring system.

Even if it is said "energy saving", I find out the medium is crap.
    The bass is better since I add a slim self amp Subwoofer Crunch GP800 .
    I would like to replace with Focal Flax speakers.

For me, I am afraid with the conseqencies of changing the speakers as:

1. The stock Green Edge speakers are high efficiency (probably mid 90 dB)

2. I don't know what impedances are the green edge speakers

3.the stock amplifier is a class H amplifier, with probably crossover function included?

Foxmo4 likes this.
  2. Zedknepplin

Zedknepplin semper prius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Hortevin,

Yes I tried. I bought a nice set of infinity Triax on sale to replace front door speakers. I took photos and documented the whole process for Priuschat forums. Result - no difference. The Amp acts as a crossover like you said, so even with a Triax speaker all the door gets is lows. I called Crutchfield and asked what gives? I got a different tech that said they should have not sold me the speakers because of the JBL setup. I even tried to replace the dash 'squawkers' with some nice Pioneer High Freq Tweeters. Result - JBL Green edge tweeters in my 2013 Prius 4 Solar were already just as good. So what I did was left JBL stock stereo in place and added a powered Blaupunkt Sub in the trunk and extra tweeters in the A Pillars powered by an amp under the drivers seat. Sounds great except for some reason I am getting high freq (HF) noise from the ICE that I did not get in my last Prius. I twisted the cables coming from the zbox, shielded the zbox, get +12v straight from the battery, grounded and shielded just about everything I can think of, but still get ICE HF. I do not know what the speaker resistance in Ohms is, they were not labeled. But, Here are some pix for ideas:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some pix of my other mods: Click
    I am always adding mods to my car as I am never satisfied with one mod to the next, but I do like music. I just added rain sensing wipers & interior accent lighting and will do a writeup on that soon. Waiting for some rain for real world testing. I hope this stereo info is helpful!

Hortevin and Foxmo4 like this.