1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced 3 bad cells. Electric Engine turns off after one mile.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nandersizzle, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Nandersizzle

Nandersizzle New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys,

I'm new to auto work in general and just bought a 2004 prius off CL. I was aware that the red triangle was one when I bought it and decided to fix it myself.

I popped the HV battery out and saw that one cell was completely bad and that the two neighboring cells had registered physical damage. I bought 3 new cells off ebay and put them in. All cells register 7.8 volts exactly now, but when I put the battery in and drive the electric engine will shut off shortly after getting on the road ~1mile in. Also, on the energy flow screen the batter will not charge passed the final two bars to get into the green zone.

Is this a fuse problem? Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Thanks,

Nick

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What warning lights are on?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How many miles did you test drive the car? How do you know the electric motor shuts off?

4. Nandersizzle

Nandersizzle New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The big red triangle and the check engine lights are on. I test drove it for about 25 miles 2 nights ago.

I can tell it shuts off because on the energy flow screen it stops showing flow to or from the electric battery after a mile, as well as all noise shuts off from the battery area, and my ability to accelerate with any effectiveness also stops. So, to me that means its on gas engine only.

Thanks guys.

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need to retrieve the DTC so that you will have a clue about what is wrong with your car. If no other warning lights appear besides the two that you listed, then the problem is likely with the gasoline engine.

Mini VCI is the best tool for that purpose, if you have a Windows XP or Windows 7 32 bit OS laptop to run that with.

6. Nandersizzle

Nandersizzle New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Patrick,

I think you might be right. I just put the battery back in and turned the car on. She started no problem, but after about five seconds of the gas engine running it turned off. I'm going to go to autozone and ask them to pull the codes, and then I may have to go to the Toyota dealer.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Put the car in inspection mode and see if it'll run.

1. put the car into standby mode (pressing the start button twice without foot on the brake)
    2. while pressing the brake, press the accelerator twice
    3. while still pressing the brake, shift into neutral, press the accelerator twice.
    4. while still pressing the brake, shift back into park, press the accelerator twice.
    5. while still pressing the brake, press the start button

The MFD screen should say "problem". Your gas engine should remain running. Don't drive in this mode, it's for inspections only. Shut off and restart to drive.

8. Nandersizzle

Nandersizzle New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The display looks like the first picture when I turn the car on. I can hear the gas engine running. Then it goes silent, and looks like the second. The same thing basically happens when I'm driving.

Attached Files:

9. Nandersizzle

Nandersizzle New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Will do! Reporting back in a few!

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The top left corner of the MFD display shows the "problem" symbol. You need to retrieve the codes and pinpoint your problem. You can't guess at it.

11. Nandersizzle

Nandersizzle New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I went into inspection mode. The gas engine does remain running. I'll go to autozone next and get the codes.

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The photos in post #8 show that the hybrid vehicle warning icon has appeared in the upper left corner of the MFD. So there will be some DTC logged by the hybrid vehicle or traction battery ECUs. Hopefully the Autozone OBD-II code reader will be able to retrieve those.

13. Nandersizzle

Nandersizzle New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update: I took the car to autozone. They ran the codes and got P3018 "Battery block 8 becomes weak". The car was behaving much better. Got for brief periods the battery on the display to get within 1 block of a full charge and saw green for the first time since I bought it. I ended up taking a 60+ mile drive quite by accident and it only once (about 48 miles in) did the thing where all the energy flow shut down on the display and I lost my acceleration power. I pulled over restarted the car and it was good again until I got home.

What's my next move guys? I was going to take the cover off the batter and look at the 8th cell from the left and start there.

Thanks so much for your help guys. Super cool forum.

Nick

14. Nandersizzle

Nandersizzle New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will admit, I got the impression that their code reader didn't get everything.

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, battery block 8 was identified by the traction battery ECU as failing. Each block is composed of two modules, so you need to focus on the voltages of the 15th and 16th modules. For that matter, you should measure the voltages of all 28 modules and if any module voltages differ by more than 0.3V, you need to work on making them closer via a charging/discharging process.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope you didn't think it would be like changing your flashlite battery.:)

17. Nandersizzle

Nandersizzle New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This morning I checked the voltage of all 28 modules. Each one read 7.8 volts. I will check again in 20 minutes or so. When I'm counting the blocks do I start from the Left side or right side of the battery?

18. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    While his enthusiasm is admirable, this owner embarked on a project that he really did NOT have the necessary equipment or knowledge to complete properly.

There are threads on here, I think, that describes the testing and charging, etc. requirements for rebuilding a battery and it doesn't sound like he has even read them. That would be a good place to start.

It sounds to me like his cells are still BADLY out of balance and the system knows it.
    Might just be that the new ones aren't up to charge yet or that there are some other bad ones too.

Simply measuring the "no load" voltage often doesn't tell you much about the over health of a cell.

19. Nandersizzle

Nandersizzle New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, so yes, I'm ignorant. Would have been the first to admit that. How do I tell balance? I was under the mistaken impression that if the cells had measured the same voltage they were in balance.

20. Nandersizzle

Nandersizzle New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, so yes, I'm ignorant. Would have been the first to admit that. How do I tell balance? I was under the mistaken impression that if the cells had measured the same voltage they were in balance.

21. Nandersizzle

Nandersizzle New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update:

My new cells are in block 8. I just took the battery apart and remeasured the voltage. Every one of them is now at 8.2 volts! I'm gonna slow my roll before this thing blows up.

Any ideas fellows?