1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced Turn Signals, Fog Lights, High Beams, Parking Lights & Rear License Plate Bulbs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by stream, Jun 13, 2009.

1. JJ742

JJ742 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I see powerbulbs carries these as well. Any ideas on how long these bulbs should last compared to the stock ones?

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The PIAAs in my first post in this thread are 4000K, and I've had them in previous cars for many years with no issues--in my last car for 4.5 years.

Once you go much above 4000K the light goes from white to blue, and the brightness decreases, so I think 4000K - 4500K is the sweet spot.

3. JJ742

JJ742 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you have any insight into how the PIAAs compare to the Osram Night Breakers? I've read some good reviews of the NBs, though folks claim shorter lifespan due to the greater (+90% ?) light output.

4. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry, not familiar with those bulbs.

5. Jon S

Jon S Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I find the NightBreakers to be a bit brighter than the PIAAs... The color is about the same.

6. FreakinToddles

FreakinToddles New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can someone please help me out, I am trying to replace the license plate bulbs. I have the access panel off, and can unplug the cable... but I can't figure out how to get the bulb out to replace it?

Side note, is there a guide anywhere on how to replace all of these bulbs? I really don't like to mess with my car if there are people who have done it before me and can give step by step instructions.

7. Jon S

Jon S Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the problem is the bulbs are slippery and they are it kind of tight... use something that you can get grip with. If you are really careful, you can use a small pliers to pull it out, don't squeeze the bulb too hard or you'll shatter the bulb. That's what I did.

Note: Make sure the cable is plugged back in before you insert the housing into the opening... If the bulb fixture falls into the tailgate, it's a pain to disassemble the hatch panels to get it out. The bulb assembly is very tricky to put back in it's place... took me several minutes of playing with it...

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The first time is always a pain to get out. I suggest once you do, spray some Jiggla-loo or WD-40 to keep the plastic lubricated.

9. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Those bulbs just pull out. Like with all auto bulbs, use a cloth or paper towel to avoid touching the glass part, since the oil from your skin will decrease the bulb's life.

And replacement instructions for all exterior bulbs, except LEDs, are in the owner's manual.

10. RadioZero

RadioZero Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    the bulbs just pull out but the socket needs to be twisted to come out. righty tighty, lefty loosie. it's only a quarter turn to the left to remove the socket.

i disconnected the wiring then used some needle nose pliers to twist the bulb sockets out.

on my car the drivers side was easy enough to twist by hand, the passenger side was tough and i used the needle nose to twist it out.

11. Jon S

Jon S Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    To those who want to pop open the map light covers...
    Place the screwdriver in the forward edge of the map light lens near the hinged side (toward the center of the car). Do NOT stick it along the the long sides, this will will guarantee you will break the snap tabs...

12. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I hadn't replied Jon. I got them from like.. superledlights or something like that. It'd come up under google. Then, I got some of the lights on the sites linked here. However, the interior LEDs that I have found to be best, I cannot remember where I bought them. They are like little wafers, and they come with every socket type that you just plug the wire into, and then you can piggy-back 1 onto another. That makes for awesome illumination. Today I ordered HID conversion kits for the high beam and fogs. I am going to wait until those come in to do all my turn lights and such. That way I only need to remove those panels once.

13. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, I found where I got these awesome one size fits all led conversion kits for interior lights! It is BMW Parts and BMW Accessories | Bavarian Autosport You just need to poke around the replacement bulb area, and I always selected an 06 330i, cause that's what I originally bought these bulbs for. (Stripped them out before I traded in. LOL)

14. Fussion101

Fussion101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just wanted to make sure these are correct for the '10 prius II before ordering...I want to replace the parking lights

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pair 194 168 158 2825 T10 LED Wedge Bulbs
    (WHITE)
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

15. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  16. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In the first post of this thread, I listed all the bulb info, plus it's in the owner's manual.

17. Fussion101

Fussion101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Philips Blue Vision W5W

saying it's W5W doesn't really help me when there's an option for either T10 or T5/8. I'll wait for the vendor to get back to me.

18. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I used The bulb below which you can find in the thread I linked above. The description says 194/168 type and these worked for me. I would assume based on the description that you posted that they are compatible because of this.

WLED-xHP5 Wedge Base Bulb
    Miniature Wedge Base Bulb(194/168 type) with 5 High Power SMD LEDs
    12 VDC, 360 Viewing Angle, Polarized bulb
    Select LED color
    $ 5.95

19. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    1 person likes this.
  20. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks fantastic. Man, how do you guys change the parking lights? I've read the manual. I can not get them out! And I have smaller hands.