1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement for the silly antenna that I don't use

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Kronn8, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Kronn8

Kronn8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have XM Radio, but I don't use it. Nor do I use conventional radio. (I stream music over my phone.)

I think this antenna looks really silly. It reminds me of the Jetsons or the Great Gazoo from the Flintstones.

Is there a "blank" that I could screw in? Unscrewing my current antenna exposes the metal threads, and I don't want them to corrode.

[​IMG]

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is that just for XM radio?? Oh hang on, you're not using any radio. Still, curious.

Maybe you could just put a dab of clear silicone caulk, not enough to gum up the threads.

(This is starting to go Freudian methinks...)

3. Kronn8

Kronn8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I believe so. I've seen other threads about a Japanese sharkfin antenna that said it wouldn't fit on models with XM radio.

4. Kronn8

Kronn8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know that it's *at least* for XM Radio. I've seen other threads about a Japanese sharkfin antenna that said it wouldn't fit on models with XM radio.

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The thread is M5x.8 which is close to 3/16 inch. They sell vinyl screw protector caps at the hardware stores like True Value or Ace in the little parts drawers. Usually they are less than a dollar.

Coat the thread in a glue like the silicone based Super Glue "Fix-All" adhesive that they Sell at Dollar Tree. I use it often to seal screw threads from corrosion.

It will prevent corrosion and can easily be removed to reinstall the antenna.

pauerbach likes this.
  6. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I think that is the AM/FM antenna. I understood that the XM antenna was the wiggly lines in the small window to the right rear.

7. Photastic052

Photastic052 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III