1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 94hawk213, May 6, 2013.

1. 94hawk213

94hawk213 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I currently have OEM Goodyear Integritys on my 2008 Prius, and they're starting to show the metal belts on the shoulders - just horrible. Are Michelin Energy Saver A/Ss still the way to go? I took a look at Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List | PriusChat already. My Prius has about 85,000 miles on it, and I live in Texas, so I might see snow once a year. Fuel economy and tread life are the most important criteria to me. Thank you much!

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    For tread life Michelin are usually considered to be one of the highest millage tyres the AS is also good for economy.

John (Britprius)

HaroldW likes this.
  3. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Goodyear Assurance fuel-max, Michelin energy savers are good. Just make sure you purchase LRR tires. H:)

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. Just get the Energy Saver A/S. :)

Britprius and Merkey like this.
  5. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have had both. It's a toss up F8L. ;) H

Britprius likes this.
  6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That sounds like there is an alignment or tire pressure problem involved.

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    According to TireRack it's not. :p

8. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They don't actually test the tires, they just get feed-back from customers! I don't really classify that as a tire test, but it is all we have. I find the G/Y roll better with less resistance. Everybody to their own!!! H

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Harold, TireRack does indeed test tires. A lot of them. :)

Tire Test Results : When Round and Black Becomes Lean and Green

Click on the TireTests link in my sig for a lot more that are relevant to the Prius.

10. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I stand corrected, when did they start. At one time it was just feed back. H

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aye. I take those with a grain so salt like you said. :)

I'm not sure when they started testing tires officially but unless you get their emails you don't really notice the tests on their websites. The tests are worth reading and they seems pretty unbiased.

12. 94hawk213

94hawk213 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great, thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and ordered the Michelin Energy Saver A/Ss. We'll see if they help with my not-so-good fuel economy as of late. I'll report back on that and also let y'all know if the dealer says anything about the abnormal tread wear. Thanks!

F8L likes this.
  13. 94hawk213

94hawk213 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to update, I have used the Michelin Energy Saver A/Ss on almost a full tank of gas now and noticed about a 2 to 2.5 mpg increase. Of course, the previous Integritys had belts exposed on the shoulders, so they probably were sapping mpg. I'm not sure if the Michelins are responsible for the full 2.5 mpg or if the extra price of the Michelins is even worth that increase in mpg.

The dealer said that the belt exposure was, in fact, due to improper alignment. I have noticed, however, that these Michelins are ultra-responsive, almost to the point where I don't feel stable adjusting the wheel at high speeds (e.g., 80 mph on the Dallas toll roads). Thanks again for the help!

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A well worn tire has as low of rolling resistance as you'll ever see with that tire so to observe an instant gain with a brand new tire means the new tire is very fuel efficient! The old tire was likely shorter as well so your odometer miles would have been artificially higher than with the new tires. All in all, you have a really efficient set of tires. Now get the alignment done. ;)

15. Sand Hurst

Sand Hurst Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have installed European tire Michelin CrossClimate+ on 2010 Prius. At odometer reading 225000 km, I am getting same MPG as stock ProContact that car came with when new. I am comparing my previous best reading at 75000km with present one with same trip between same endpoints at same speed in same direction. MPG wise its same and much lower noise as well better control. Braking in dry and wet conditions is superb. CrossClimate+ comes stock on Prius in snowy & icy Turkey. So, I don't think there will be any problem in Toronto winter.