1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing A/C clutch

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by oldnoah, Apr 16, 2012.

1. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My A/C light starts flashing after about 30 minutes of use. The A/C is still cold while it's running, but it warms up when the light starts blinking.

At this point I'm planning on replacing the clutch assembly. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do I need any special tools? How far apart do I need to take the car so I can reach the clutch? Is there something else I can test to see if the compressor is on its last legs, before I put money into the clutch?

I'd appreciate any help from someone with experience.

Thanks.

2. sbiddle

sbiddle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the same problem and I ended up replacing the compressor (with clutch) with a rebuilt unit. I replaced the drier and recharged the system. It's been running fine ever since. I was unable to find a clutch by itself.

3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm not positive but, I'm pretty sure a flashing light indicates a low freon level. I would charge the system before replacing anything. The fact that it gets cold to begin with shows the clutch and compressor are working. When the compressor runs out of freon, it no longer cools and you get the flashing light. Low freon "usually" indicates a leak in the system (but not always). Recharge it first (<$40). If it works for a couple of weeks after recharge and the symptoms return, you have a leak. If you want to jump the gun, you can buy the freon w/ dye (ie: leak detector) in it.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The clutch assembly looks to be about $195 new at the Toyota dealers that sell online. I don't know how that compares to the rebuilt whole compressor price, but if you don't have easy access to evacuation/reclamation equipment, the clutch-only approach might be less hassle.

-Chap

5. sbiddle

sbiddle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The blinking light indicates a difference in the speed of the motor and the speed of the a/c compressor. It will blink if the belt is slipping or if the clutch is slipping.

1 person likes this.
  6. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had read elsewhere in the forum that the blinking light meant that the clutch or belt was slipping. I replaced the belt, but it didn't solve the problem, so I'm heading toward the clutch. I just wanted to know if anyone had done it, in case there were any hang ups I should watch out for.

7. alfhild@grics.net

[email protected] New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    My 2001 prius after 190,000 miles started the blinking light problem--1st, I tried to add freon--luckily the compressor had an over-charge valve--The problem was that the clutch face was slipping--remove shroud, remove the clutch plate and grind down one of the spacer washers approximately 2 thousands--put back and that will probably solve the problem

joedirte likes this.