1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing engine: Considerations before acquiring one?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by EKIM, Jan 14, 2014.

1. EKIM

EKIM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While I've pulled a Prius engine before (with transmission), I didn't have an eye towards having to put one back in.

I'm generally a "pushrods and carburetor" kinda guy. (Apologies for this)

I have a 2008 Prius that has 364K on the clock. I got it because quoted repairs were too costly. It would only run on 3 cylinders when I got it. Dealership supposedly recommend engine rebuild.

Used Prius gas engines are pretty inexpensive. What do I need to pay attention to when shopping for one? Is there a compatibility issue between ECUs or other components? Or will any Gen 2 Prius gasoline engine work?

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A gasoline engine from any model year in the 2004-2009 range should work. I would make an effort to find an engine with < 100K miles logged by the donor vehicle (assuming you can trust the assertions of the salvage yard.)

3. EKIM

EKIM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, Patrick. I wasn't sure if there were any mid-model changes that would cause a 2005 engine and a 2008 ECU and transmission to not play nicely together.

If anyone else cares to chime in, please don't hesitate.

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would be willing to say "Trust Patrick" on this one. He is VERY knowledgeable and highly respected here on Prius Chat.

Best of luck to you.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, if you refer to the online Toyota parts catalog, you will see that there are some restrictions. Supposing you wanted to purchase a long block: there appears to be one part number for vehicles produced from Jan 2005 and one prior to that. A similar distinction is drawn for the short block: one part number for vehicles produced from March 2004 and one prior to that.
    2008 Toyota Prius Parts - AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway Parts

Therefore, to be safe, I would say that an engine from model years 2006 to 2009 definitely should be fine. An engine from model year 2005 will be OK if produced after January 2005. If the engine is produced prior to January 2005, it *probably* would be compatible with the ECUs from a newer model year. To eliminate all risk, look for an engine from a newer model.

usnavystgc likes this.
  6. EKIM

EKIM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you VERY much for taking the time to clarify, and for taking the time to post in the first place. This is all just going to be one big experiment for me anyway but hearing that it's likely not a 100% chance of failure right from the get-go is comforting.