1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing Front Brake Pads On 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hep1966, Jan 31, 2013.

1. hep1966

hep1966 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I searched through the forums and think that I can replace my front pads. I've replaced pads many times on Chevy, Ford, and Chrysler vehicles.

From what I have read, I should disconnect the 12 volt battery before I begin work.

I have a Craftsman brand manual caliper piston compressing tool and many other hand tools, jacks, jack stands, etc.

For my other vehicles, I have the specific bits needed to loosen the caliper slide bolts.

What size bit/socket is needed to loosen the caliper slide bolts on the Prius?

Do the rotors simply pop off after removing the calipers?

I'll be doing the work outside in the cold weather so I'd like to have all of the required tools to complete the job quickly.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes it's most important to disconnect the 12 volt battery before starting work.

The caliper slide bolts from memory are either 12 or 13mm. You will have to remove the caliper carrier before the rotors (discs in UK) will come off again from memory 17 mm.

If there thickness is close to 20mm it would be better to replace them rather than re finish 19mm is minimum.

When work is complete before re connecting the battery pump the brake pedal to push the pads up to the rotors then connect the battery.

Bed the brakes in by getting the car up to 45 or 50 mph (no more) put the car in neutral then brake, do this a few times till braking feels good.

Not doing this will give you a nasty surprise the first time you brake in an emergency or the Prius decides to drop out of regen braking on a bump.

John (Britprius)

hep1966 likes this.
  3. hep1966

hep1966 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you.