1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing HID Headlights in a 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ports, Oct 22, 2012.

1. ports

ports Junior Member

Since I'm stuborn, I do not want to pay 5 or 6 hundred dollars to have my headlights replaced at the dealer. I got on the chat and received some very useful info. I purchased 2 HID lights from Amazon and obtained soe great info on how to install the lights without removing the bumper. The passenger side was fairly easy, but I did have a problem on the driver's side which is very cramped to say the least. I was able to successfull remove the old light but when installing the new one, the retaining clip that holds the light in popped out of its slot. I'm having some problems getting it back into place primairily because of the. confined space. Does anyone have any suggestions that mighthelp me. I know that I will eventually be able to get it where it belongs and finish the job but their are so many knowledable prius owners that I thought someone might be able to give me some good advice. I have always been very grateful to the individuals on the chat that are willing to give some of their expertise tohelp others keep the best car on the market going.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For me, when doing the passenger's side, the darn clipped popped out and there was no way I could get it back on w/the limited space I had. I ended up having to remove the front bumper cover. :(

3. ports

ports Junior Member

Thanks for responding. Im going to try to get it back on without taking off the bumper. If not, I'll do what you did.

4. baseballmom

baseballmom New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For those of you who have replaced headlights / had problems with winking lights, what has the result been after replacement? Is this an ongoing phenomenon? Is replacement a frequent issue? Just bought a 2006 Prius used with 71K, and had to return car to dealership less than 24 hours later for winking headlights. Arguing with dealership about repairs; wondering if I bought a lemon. Any advice?

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't know. The lights may have been intermittent already when you bought them. Or, someone might've replaced them w/crap HID bulbs or the ballast may have been bad/have gone bad.

I had to replace one of my bulbs a bit past the 5 year/50K mile extended warranty provided by Toyota Prius Class Action Lawsuit | Toyota Headlight Lawsuit | Girard Gibbs LLP. I posted can't remove washer fluid tank, trying to replace passenger side HID | PriusChat the day I changed one. So far, the replacement's held up and I'm at ~68K miles, IIRC. I bought a Philips D4R from Amazon (straight from Amazon, not a 3rd party reseller). I believe it's genuine.

The other hasn't started winking out yet.

I bought my 06 Prius new in late January 06.

If both bulbs on yours at 71K are the originals, I wouldn't be surprised if one or both are crapping out now. Others (w/06 to 09 HID equipped Priuses) have had theirs go bad within the 5 year/50K mile period. From what I've seen here, it seems like (for the D4R system in 06-09 HID Priuses) it's almost always the bulb that fails to cause the problem. It's very rare that it's the ballast, wiring or connector.

6. ports

ports Junior Member

Ports here! Thanks again for the advice and more importantly resonding to my plea for help. I did get the clip and bulb in but then trying to snap the clip in place it would just fall out. Since one definition of stupid is doing the same thing over and over the same way and expecting different results, I deceided to try your suggestion. I took a chance and only loosened part of the bumper. I also found that on the 2006, there were only 2 screws holding the headlight assembly. Popped the driver side bumper, turned the light assembly, and everything went in easily. Put back together, said a little prayer, turned on the headlights and they were both on. Thanks again for your help.

7. ports

ports Junior Member

I just finished replacing both HID headlights today. I own a 2006 with just over 60000 mi. The passenger side started acting up first and the the driver's side did the same.I am certainly not as knowledgeable as many on the chat, but I do not believe the problem should persist if only the bulb is bad. If the ballast ( I believe that is what it is called) is bad, that may cause new bulbs to continue to flicker and go off. I purchased the new bulbs from Amazon as was suggested by many on the chat. They were phillips D4R 42406 bulbs. When I pulled the old ones, they were identical to the brand. Wish you luck. I would tell the dealer you didn't just purchase your used care to have to take on a 5 or 6 hundred dollar expense at the dealer. Keep after them. Ports

8. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had the winking lights problem as they reached the end of their life. I replaced them with a different brand and had the same problem. I sent those back, got the OEM bulbs, and everything has worked fine since.