1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing Inverter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ChrisSz, Aug 19, 2013.

1. ChrisSz

ChrisSz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2004 Prius with 215,000 miles
    A few days ago, while accelerating on a freeway, I lost almost all power and got the Red Exclamation Point of Death. Dealership says it threw a DTC P0A94-555 and that I need a new inverter. Inverter water pump was changed out about two years ago, I believe. Of course, the dealership is quoting $4800 for a new inverter and $800 in labor. I've checked out AutoBeYours as suggested by others on this forum and I think I want to go with a rebuilt/repaired inverter from them but I haven't had much luck finding instructions/videos for doing this yourself.
    Question is, if I'm a pretty handy DIY'er and an electrical-related engineering degree (and a healthy respect for high voltage), is this something I can service myself? Any ideas on where to find a walk-through or instructions?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, you could do it yourself. You can obtain repair manual info at techinfo.toyota.com which is a subscription website.

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just to give a preview of what you are looking at, here are some pictures that show what is required to get the inverter unbolted and electrically disconnected. The final steps would be to disconnect the hoses.

Spring maintenance