1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing my vintage '05 Prius - what's my best fit?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Larry Greenwald, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Larry Greenwald

Larry Greenwald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 2005 vintage Prius (in service since November 2004 - thanks Dianne Whitmire at Carson Toyota - my god she's still there???) now has 120K miles on it. After 8+ years, I might finally be in the mood to get a new one. I'm looking for one comparable with the options I have on my current one (JBL stereo, SS/SE keyless, NAV system, dimming rear view mirror) which was close to top of the line for when I got it. This is the longest I've kept any car and clearly, from my perspective, I made the right choice.

I drive about 40 miles round trip to and from work (mostly freeway) daily but maybe 100 or so during the weekends. Leather may be an option I'd accept. Really don't need a moon roof.

I should say that a plug-in is not an option (I live in a condo complex, no plug available) and I don't really want the v or the C series.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The 4 is closest to what you have now in terms of accessories, it does come with imitation leather and a power seat. If you chose a 3 no dimming mirror, no JBL and no power or leather seat. Hope this helps, I'm looking for a new one myself, and have done some research, good luck.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've never gone back to a dealer and found the same salesperson still there, that's amazing. congrats to dianne!(y)

4. Michael King

Michael King Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Since I lust after it, I'd suggest looking at the Telsa Model S, but you already killed that with the condo complex and no convenient power outlet.

I commute daily 160 miles round trip in a 2013 3, with the Solar Roof, and so far it's been fine. None of the terrors of the Bad Front seat have manifested for me. (According to the lore, the 2005's were worse anyways)

I'd suggest getting the 3. It's not a JBL, but it's up to you if you would notice the difference. I like the solar roof, since it keeps the car cool while I'm at work. (it has solar powered fans that cool the car, you don't open the sunroof)

If the better speakers are important, just invest the money in aftermarket speakers. I'm sure it's less than upgrading via a 4 or 5 package. (Maybe?)

5. Michael King

Michael King Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I've bought 2 cars, and my family has bough 7 cars off the same salesman. It's large dealership too with over 40 salesman.

Sometimes the salesperson makes the difference.

6. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just because the PiP has a plug doesn't mean you have to plug it in. My sister just got a Leaf and never intends to plug in at home because electricity costs more than gas for her. She's going to rely on work and free stations.

Anyway, back to the subject. You can get a PiP base from Dianne for $31k - $4k total rebates = $27k. Basically paying $1400 more than a comparable trim Prius III for HOV access and heated seats. In Los Angeles, that should be well worth the time savings.

7. Larry Greenwald

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well I'm in San Diego, so I don't have the long commute of most LA drivers (in fact I now very rarely venture out of San Diego County - just don't like the drive).

8. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm curious how your sister would manage this day in day out. Obviously being able to charge at work is a huge plus. I live in a condo with a garage w/ 120v outlet, but the 120v charging time just isn't practical enough. I can't think of any free charging stations nearby except for Costco and the dealerships, though I've never really checked online.

9. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OP, perhaps consider the Three Persona series? It has the leather. No JBL, but many with that system have said that the increase in sound quality is minimal. No dimming mirror either, but you'd be spending quite a bit less money.

10. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Honestly, I don't know either. She just leased the car last week. She has a 35 mile round trip commute. So, she only needs to charge for about 3 hours to full at the free charge station at work. For the weekends, there's a DC quick charge at the local college close to her home. She visited last weekend and filled up the car in 15 minutes (from half I guess?). It barely lasted her a "single Cataan game" on her iPad.

Up in the Bay Area, there's a free charge station every 5 miles or so usually in some obscure location off the freeway. It's not very useful for me at all but you'd never be stranded unless you're an idiot NYT reporter. Luckily for sis, she happens to live a couple minutes from that obscure college location and it happens to have one of the few CHAdeMO plugs for free.

11. Tamara

Tamara New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Our 2012 3 came with an autodimming mirror. I don't know if it was a dealer installed option or what, but we have it and like it.

12. Larry Greenwald

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I put my Prius into Mossy Toyota (San Diego) for scheduled maintenance on Saturday (120K miles). Got a rental for the weekend, a Prius C. I had said I would not consider the C as a replacement for my venerable '05.

Until I drove it.

For someone like me who just wants to get from point A to point B and be efficient about it, it's not a bad car. Of course the one I drove was a fleet unit from the dealership (baseline model 1) and I would want more 'stuff' in it (NAV system, smart key system, auto on/off headlights, etc.) to match up to my existing car.

Most likely a model 4 would be to my liking. Still considering.

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've listened to JBL / non back to back. No way the base system (which doesn't have the amplifier) stands up to the JBL. Base system lacks bass. Bunch of midrange / treble sound but not much power. But, if want good sound on freeway, better plan for road noise insulation upgrade also.

14. BornPriiOrDie

BornPriiOrDie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The stereo in my Personna is better than the stereo in our 2. However, my daughter's Corolla's JBL sounds better than mine.

15. Larry Greenwald

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does anyone know if the auto-dimming mirror is available as an option on the Prius C?

16. Teacake

Teacake OohShiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not without aftermarket solutions, I don't think.