1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing OEM single CD/AM/FM with OEM JBL 6CD changer/cassette player system

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rfelley, Aug 29, 2009.

1. rfelley

rfelley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looking for any knowledge on the following. I have a good used OEM JBL (Matsushita actually) AM/FM/cassette stereo from my last 2004 that I'd like to put into my existing 2004 with OEM single CD/AM/FM stereo. Does anyone know if it can be as simple as removing the single player and installing the JBL? I do have experience removing and installing all this stuff as my last 2004 (now totalled) 6CD changer malfunctioned (before the wreck) and held 3 CDs hostage until I removed and completely dismantled the changer to retrieve them. Also, please don't advise me to get a life and get a MP3 system as I am of limited means and what I have is what I have. Thank you.

2. Prius 06

Prius 06 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I wouldn't tell you to get a life or anything like that as the stock deck is pretty good.
    However, since you've taken the dash apart before I'd suggest to try it. If it doesn't work then you've only wasted about a half our pulling it apart and putting it back together for no reason.

Let us know

3. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't think it'll be an easy direct swap, as the JBL system includes a separate amplifier, which is located under the passenger seat.

4. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Did your original system also have an amp under the seat?

5. rfelley

rfelley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    NO amp under the seat and no obvious pigtail for JBL amp unless it is buried deep under the carpet. When time permits I'll probably remove the seat and try to discover whether Toyota harness is prewired for JBL option as I do have all the other components for the JBL system. Was just hoping to use this forum as a time saver/knowledge booster for my particular question. Thanks to all.