1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing steering wheel

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by fingersfly, Jul 17, 2014.

1. fingersfly

fingersfly New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm spiffing up a Gen 2 Prius I got from my mom (who no longer drives). Have been hunting a reasonably priced, sporty steering wheel. I found one from Japanese source, supposedly made for Prius sunrise-auto | Rakuten Global Market: Piano black cancer grip steering of prius ZVW30 origin. But before I drop over $200 on the project, What might I expect a mechanic to charge for install? And will this ruin my airbag?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That steering wheel might be for 2010-2014 model Prius cars. On GenII Prius, there isn't much you can do to make them look any sportier. There's hope with the GenIII Prius, but can't say the same about GenII

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    #3 xliderider, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2014
  4. antech5

antech5 Member

best bet is to find a leather wrapped steering wheel from a 2nd gen prius, direct swap. most shops would charge you an hour labor.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, my concern as already stated, would be that particular steering wheel might only be compatible with a Gen 3 Prius.

There are threads with swap outs on Gen 3 Prius.

I "hate" the OEM steering wheel. On the Gen 3, on the base model, for some reason Toyota decided to give it the textural consistency and feel of sand paper.

I was unwilling to deal with the cost, and challenge of a swap out. So I ended up going the compromise route of installing a Wheelskins cover.

The installation was challenging..you've got to stitch in on, using a waxed- strong cording/thread. If you go this route, I would suggest looking up thread here, on installation, as well as perhaps checking out Youtube.

I looked up everything and STILL installation was a sweat producing 3-4 hours. And when finished I was far from perfect. It almost takes one time just to "learn".

But...now I think it looks pretty good, better than nothing with the standard OEM. And if feels great....good quality leather.

Whatever you decide. Or whatever you can find. I would just offer the suggestion that Wheelskins are a good compromise, if not a particularly "easy" endeavor.

6. ronjuan

ronjuan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I was lucky when I purchased my gen 2 - I happened upon a guy here on prius chat who had a steering wheel which he had purchased in Japan from a company that makes Lexus steering wheels....I paid him the $325.00 he was asking and had my body shop guy install it for $60.00....it was THE BEST upgrade I ever made on this car....was truely worth it! Later, my wife wanted one and I was able to find her one on ebay...it to was very nice and he personally made them. You have to ship the one you remove back to the guy you purchase the new one from. The guy on ebay was located in the Mid-West somewhere...don't remember where.

Attached Files:

7. fingersfly

fingersfly New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll double check. Thanks.

8. fingersfly

fingersfly New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds bit more $$, but I'll research. The company I'm considering, Raku, is also Japanese. Maybe same.

9. fingersfly

fingersfly New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for that. Considered skins and may go that route, but husband HATES a botched skin sew. Doubt we could do it well enough to suit, but maybe if I get a pro to stitch for me? It wont' be ergonomic contour, but at least the color and feel might make me smile when I sit to drive.

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose I need to be totally honest here. If your husband is a perfectionist in this regard, then wheelskins might not be the answer. The oval shape of The Prius steering wheel combined with the large spokes of both the Gen 2 Prius and Gen 3...I think make a "perfect" installation challenging.

However, some people have done it better than others. If you search threads you should be able to find pictures of completed jobs, some better than others (most better than mine).

I'm happy with my installation, even though I know it is not perfect. For example, you have to stitch around the spokes of The Prius steering wheel. With my "Grunt and Slobber" installation, I was left with two bumps of leather behind the spokes, not visible from the front, but I can feel them from behind.

Someone more skilled with the Zen of Stitching might be able to do a better job than me. And I have actually come to like the bumps...but that's just me.

If your husband is a real stickler? Then a total replacement upgrade might be the best way to go.

Best of luck, and let us know what you eventually end up with...

11. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Check out this post:
    new steering wheel for my Prius | PriusChat

The seller may still be making customized steering wheels. I'm hoping so, because I'm in need of a replacement (mines starting to be really worn) and I always wanted to get one of the steering wheels that he makes. But just like everything else in life it's a matter of time and money. I usually just don't have the money...

Good luck with your mods and keep us posted and welcome to the forum!

12. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Here are the step by step instructions to replace the steering wheel yourself. A mechanic might charge 1 to 2 labor hours, which would be anywhere from $90 to $180 depending on the labor rate, plus any hazmat, recycling, tax and other fees.

Removal of 2008 Prius steering wheel - - FixYa
    You should disconnect the negative wire from the battery and then wait 30 minutes prior to doing this...

With a small flat screwdriver, remove the 2 by 2 inch black plastic covers behind the steering wheel. one of them has a hole for the cruise control lever.
    loosen but don't remove the two torx screws behind these covers.
    allow the airbag to fall out into your hands.
    carefully raise the two yellow retainers on the airbag wires, then pull the wires away from the airbag module.
    then squeeze and pull the black horn wire from the airbag.
    to replace the steering wheel, unplug all the wires you see and remove the 19mm nut holding the wheel.
    then by hand wiggle the steering wheel toward you. Install the new steering wheel in the reverse order.