1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing tail light assembly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jimdsm, Nov 28, 2011.

1. jimdsm

jimdsm New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need to replace tail light assembly on 2005 Prius. Some online instructions say you should disconnect negative cable on battery before doing this, then do some initialization after reconnecting the battery. Is it necessary to disconnect the battery to change out the tail light assembly? If so, what is the initialization process that must be done?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is not necessary to disconnect the 12V battery. However if you choose to do so then you will have to initialize the driver's window auto up/down function (search PC for how to do that) and reprogram your radio station presets. You will probably lose your stored trip odometer and MFD mpg/trip readings.

3. NuschlerClark

NuschlerClark New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not necessary to disconnect the 12V battery. However if you choose to do so then you will have to initialize the driver's window auto up/down function (search PC for how to do that) and reprogram your radio station presets. You will probably lose your stored trip odometer and MFD mpg/trip readings.

**Ya know? I used to work on the farm machinery on our farm...even helped with muscle cars, motorcycles...but to have the plastic lens cap over my left tail light assembly crack and I am forced to do all this with about 12 specialized tools AND somehow find a new tail light assembly for a 2006 Prius? I am a new widow with breast cancer...surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy. This SUCKS!

How did this get so complicated? Now the only thing I can do (with a $500 deductible) is find some clear tape! There is no such thing as car safety inspections in this cruddy state so it won't even matter if the brake lights or tail light even work! I was stopped at a stoplight and was hit from behind by a guy who must have been 95! The investigating officer was in the same Baptist church as the driver was...so no ticket. The driver didn't even know he hit me! He kept honking his horn for me to move.