1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reprogramming Prius to recognize RFID

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by eghrey, Jul 23, 2011.

1. eghrey

eghrey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would like to know if there is a way to program my car's computer to recognize an rfid that is not in a key fob. This would mean that I would be using a third party rfid like the ones they place under dog's skin if they are lost. I don't think I would place it in my skin but maybe in my mobile phone cover or wallet.

A little background on why I want to do this: I want to eliminate the need to carry anything but my wallet and mobile phone. Soon I hope to only need to carry my phone.

Anyone know if this is possible? Or have any thoughts on this idea?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That would be a great item......tell Toyota to make it into a credit card.....just carry your car key in your wallet.......I LOVE IT

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Third party remote start systems include a circuit called a "transponder bypass" that emulates a keyfob. I'm not sure about the details with Gen3, but on Gen2 it amounts to having a circuit that is turned ON to say "Valid Key Present". The advanced transponder bypasses record the signals from a real keyfob, and replay them on command. A basic transponder bypass is just a box with a real keyfob inside it.

You could use any circuit you want for RFID, and it could trigger the transponder bypass whenever a "Valid Key Present" condition is required.

If you're worried about security, all the circuitry is typically hidden deep inside the dash. A thief who understood everything about the installation could tear the dash apart and end up with a key that worked. On the other hand, such a thief would do better with the equipment a dealer uses to solve an "all keys lost" situation.