1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reprogramming the modules on Prius C 2012

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by rayrico55, May 31, 2013.

1. rayrico55

rayrico55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'm rebuilding a flooded 2012 Prius C, 3, I have replaced all the wiring hardness and modules, Now I need help reprograming all the modules to match and the fobs.

2. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    you'll want to use toyota techstream for that.

3. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    A flooded c? Oh wow.

4. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a little to far away to help. Sounds like you'll be stuck with the dealer :confused:
    unless you can find someone with a J2534 passthru that is on the Toyota website approved list.
    A J2534 will link to the car through a laptop and you can buy a subscription to program all the system modules and even do diagnostics. It's available for 2 days for 55 bucks.
    A DrewTech J2534 would be one passthru that's on the list.

5. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    modules? fobs? euw... The sensors and the ECU outputs are defined in the shop manual, aka service manual. You can check the sensors easly enough but I would recommend just buying new ECU or used one from a scrapyard rather than trying to reprogram the ECU. Quite possibly a dealer can do but for you to do that requires a bit more effort than its worth. Its not like Excel or Workpath.
    After thorough drying out most ECU's wok just fine. We even had a racer that had the cool suit reservoir fail and wiped out the ECU; a thorough drying returned the unit to full service so try that first. A dcealer may be the best place tocheck the dried unit.
    good luck.

6. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

He's REPLACED the modules :confused: He needs to program the NEW modules :eek:

7. wmo168

wmo168 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    oh boy alot of work..

8. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

What 'modules' were replaced? The usual system is the ECU, sub ECU's (modules?) and sensors. I am unaware of any sub ECU's that are programmable except by direction from the ECU. A service manual reference would help.

9. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure the OP knows what modules he's replaced.

10. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would be surprised if replacement modules didn't come already programmed. Some may have updates (called "calibrations"), but the modules should be basically functional as delivered.

11. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

Today's ECU's, ECM's, BCM's, TCM's, ETC. are not EPROM or EEPROM type controllers.
    Everything is Flash programmed to the specific vehicle through the J2534 protocol.
    They are updated using the same J2534 re-programming method with factory flash calibrations downloaded
    from the manufactures website. They even offer factory scan-tools with the same subscription, but you need a PC/Laptop and an approved J2534 protocol vehicle interface to communicate with the vehicle over the OBDII
    port. All 1996 and newer vehicles use this setup. Physical fixed E and EE PROM's are ancient history.
    Today's vehicles use modules to control everything. Turning on simple things like headlamps
    are controlled through a body control module. Pushing a button to roll your window down results in a request sent to a door control module that sends that signal out to the motor over a CAN or LAN communication network and it automagically rolls the window down :cool: Even if the controller being replaced isn't required to be flash programmed, it still needs to be initialized and calibrated to the vehicle so other control modules see it on the network.

Here's an example of this type of setup. This is an old 2004 Cadillac DeVille, HVAC Control module for the rear A/C temperature control door. It mounts on the HVAC case, inside the dash and controls a door inside the case that adjusts the output temperature to the rear A/C outlets. The system is a climate controlled setup with 3 zones. Driver, passenger and rear seat zones. All the inputs function through the main HVAC control head. The rear seat has it's own zone controller.
    The system is governed by the IMP control module. IPM stands for Instrument panel module.
    It's the main control that interfaces with the HVAC control module and between them, they make the system function using a Class 2 data network. They are self diagnostic capable and will communicate with a scan tool over the class 2 data network. If the system detects a fault, it will store a code that can be read with the scan tool. The scan tool has bi-directional control over the systems and can also calibrate the temperature doors for the controllers. Without calibration, the system won't function and will store fault codes. Here's an image of the temperature door control module that was needed to fix this vehicles HVAC system. After replacement, it's necessary to calibrate it so the HVAC control module will know it's door location in relation to it's outlet temperature reading. Nothing in today's computerized cars is as simple as you think. Everything is now being computer controlled.

Attached Files:

12. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Are you saying that a replacement module purchased from a Toyota dealer isn't preprogrammed for a specific usage? My expectation would be that modules would be sold with whatever firmware level was current at the time of manufacture. The part should work at least as well as the original one that came with the car new. Updates are nice, but they shouldn't be necessary for original style function.

13. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

Yes, I am :eek: Even if it was a module that came with a fixed calibration (not reprogrammable) it would need to be initialized and or calibrated to the vehicle.
    In the case of the Caddy, I had to calibrate the control module to the HVAC controller to get it to function properly. It's not just a plug in setup. Initialization and calibration is needed as a minimum. ECM's need to be flash programmed. This facilitates the use of one ECM or PCM across different platforms. Just flash program it to the vehicle and your good to go. Even the same platform will have different needs. Take for instance a 1 trim and a 4 trim level. The BCM will have a different calibration for the optional accessories added to the 4 and use the same BCM for all. The Asian manufactures have been slow to get to this level, but Toyota has been involved with GM for years and they use a lot of GM's design and electronic infrastructure. All manufactures do it. I've seen new Fords with GM/Delphi power distribution modules.

14. rayrico55

rayrico55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Drdiesel, I'll have the car towed to the dealer and have the ECM and all the modules reprogramed and will keep you guys informed.

ztanos likes this.
  15. Matt H

Matt H Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Good call. I own a full service shop, and we let the dealer handle programming. One hiccup during the programming process and you can brick the module. That's a risk I like to put on Toyota. The immobilizer can also pose problems, as you usually have to be a licensed locksmith or a dealer to do the programming on that.