1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Requesting advice for a prospective owner

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by K Series, Apr 15, 2011.

1. K Series

K Series New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    New here; looking for a little advice.

My current daily driver is exactly what my signature suggests: A heavily-modified FD RX-7. Featherweight chassis, gobs of power, and incredibly sharp suspension controlling race tires make it gloriously fast. I like to take it out to the track or on the Cherohala Skyway; my best time there is inside of an hour, one way. Not much in the way of ride quality or amenities for the driver, but hey, it's a race car that I happen to commute in for fun.

But of course life goes on; I got married, and now we have a baby on the way. The 7 was fine for me by myself, and my wife gets around fine in her CRX Si, but obviously a couple of two-seaters are not good family cars.

Since racing is my passion and I can afford it, my wife is letting me keep the FD, and we're trading in her CRX for something a little more sensible. She's interested in a third-gen Prius. I think it's a little girly, but it will be primarily her car, so that's fine.

I have two questions-
    How're maintenance costs? I am especially concerned about battery replacement since we plan to keep this car until the wheels fall off, and I've heard that has historically been an issue with electric cars and hybrids. I am not terribly concerned about insurance or fuel economy, obviously.

My other question is how does it drive? It should be pretty apparent that I like sport driving, and I don't expect the Prius to take on the 7 (what with the 380hp/1000lb difference), but my wife enjoys the sharp steering and slick shifter on the Honda, so I want her to enjoy driving the new car as well.

Thank you in advance.

2. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Prius has a CVT automatic, so there will be no shifting, slick or otherwise. The Prius is pretty much a comfortable mid-size sedan, so you shouldn't have any illusions of sportiness. The battery replacement cost is a non-issue. I have not heard of anyone needing a replacement, and a recent test showed a 2002 model's battery performing at near optimum. Now the Honda Insight is going to have battery replacement problems, but Honda is reprogramming them to fail outside of warranty.

As far as maintenance, since there is an electric motor helping the ICE, and regenerative braking helping the brake pads, replacement and service intervals are very far apart. Most folks go over 100K before doing brake work. I have owned 2 hybrids and maintenance costs are typically very low (2007 Camry and 2010 Prius IV).

You may want to look at the Lexus CT200h, which has some pretense of sportiness, or wait for the new Prii coming out in the next model year, or later this year, specifically the C, or the V if you want something more family friendly. Lastly you could check out the plug-in coming out next model year. Lots of choices.

Let us know what you decide on and how your test drives go.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is sad that cars for adults are by definition not guy cars. And no, that is not a problem with the car.
    For the first 100,000 miles, the HV battery is under 100% warranty. After that, buy used. (I give it 50/50 odds by 200,000 miles)
    prius battery -inverter -harness | eBay
    It is not sporty in any sense. It is an appliance, not a toy.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. You (She) probably want(s) a Prius Five. It has the upgraded electric power steering motor, quicker steering ratio and larger 215/45R17 tyres on 17" alloys.

2. If you place emphasis on handling, I would take a look at the CT200h. It handles much better than the Prius but you do give up space (both rear passenger and cargo. Might wanna check if a stroller fits in a CT200h)

3. Maintenance cost is about the same (or even less) than a 2WD Toyota. There's no power steering fluid to worry about and no alternator to replace. If you don't drive like Michael Schumacher, your brakes will probably last the life of the car, even in city driving (One taxi replaced the front at 90,000 miles but the rears lasted 210,000 miles before needing a replacement set). Our 2005 is at about 100,000 miles, and still have 75% life left

4. Insurance will be cheap for a new car (esp. with hybrid discounts that some insurance companies offer)

5. The battery is warranted for 8 years or 100,000 miles. Taxis achieve 100,000 miles in a year and there are a few that are as old as 2006 so they're not too big of an issue. If you need a new one, it's currently US$2,000 plus labour and taxes. A used battery from a newer Prius in a junkyard will probably cost 1/2 of that plus labour and taxes and will be just as good. It's no different from replacing an automatic transmission if it goes bust in 8-10 years (My friend's Accord's transmission kicked the bucket at 5 years at a cost of Cdn$5,000 after labour and taxes. Luckily, they were just shy of the warranty expiration date).

Oh.. and Isn't K Series a Honda engine? Would've guessed Honda first if I didn't read your signature.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    get an accord or civic.

6. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Now you're asking for maintenance costs.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You might be amazed at the stuff I have heard. Why, did you know that JFK was a martian ? No, REALLY. I read it on the internet, AND a guy at work told me the same thing.

OK, got *that* off my chest. Now, why does wife want a Prius ?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    really? i've never owned one.

9. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey K Series, check this out, a Vancouver taxi company uses Prii. They have one with a million kilometers. One of their batteries did fail...but at 435,000 miles.

CTV British Columbia - Hybrids prove very reliable - CTV News

Check out user sagebrush's monthly costs:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...-2004-prius-my-ongoing-maintenance-costs.html

Generally speaking the fear of hybrid battery failure is in the imagination of the consumer. Even if it happens you're talking under $1000 to buy one on ebay. Personally I'm saving over that amount in gas in under a year. I bet if you think back as to where you first heard that, if you even could, it would be some news anchor asking a provocative question, like "Can hybrid batteries really last?" Answer: yup!

If you have the money it sounds like a third gen Prius V would be good for you guys.

10. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  11. K Series

K Series New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mazda. I used to drive a Probe GT with the KL-ZE and straight pipes. Made quite a noise.

It's not a problem with the car. Look at where I'm coming from. I'd just as soon have an M5 if I was after a "practical car". A car with 1.6 Miata levels of power and 150% the weight isn't exactly the definition of masculinity. I'm used to fire-breathing modified sports cars (literally; a radically-ported rotary shoots quite a bit of fire), and if I was looking for a more practical car by myself it would be something in the same spirit. But since my wife wants something much milder, and is willing to let me keep my Mazda, it's a compromise I'm happy to make.

I'll certainly look at the V, although I work the next couple of days so I won't be able to go test driving until next week. As a matter of curiosity, has anyone had any experience with handling modifications to these cars?

12. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You definitely are not going to want the Prius. However if your wife is interested and you get to drive your car, the prius might be acceptable to you. Mario might want to tone it down since you will have a BABY on board... Just saying... The Gen 3 offers an option for power which gives more response (not going to be able to drive like it sounds like you are used to).

13. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't buy a Prius.

14. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm thinking Mazda 3 hatchback or 2012 Focus hatchback. But let her give the Prius a test drive and see what she thinks.

15. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    True, it is all an adult ever needs, but not all a boy ever wants.
    Yes and it is just as effective as lipstick on your great grandmother.

Toyota Prius 2010 ZVW30 Performance, Handling & Electronic Accessories :: Sigma Automotive

But it won't help.

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I find it interesting that everyone so far is trying to talk you *out* of buying a Prius. What kind of advocacy is that, people? :cool:

I won't necessarily try to talk you *in* to one; that's a decision you'll have to make after weighing your options and deciding what's most important to you. I hunch most of us have found by experience that our priorities tend to change when we have families. There are those among us who've moved on from fire-breathing monsters (vehicles, I mean, not family members) and are quite happy. You are going to be amazed at the amount of baby stuff required. No, a Prius is not going to have you aiming for apexes with tire-squealing abandon. But, compared to what you're used to, it's a safe, quiet, comfortable, roomy, reliable car. If you get to keep the sports car, then what have you lost? :)

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One can get idea of maintenance and repairs via Advanced Vehicle Testing Activity - Hybrid Electric Vehicles. They've taken their 2nd gens and at least one 1st gen to 160K miles.

The weight difference between your RX-7 and the 3rd gen Prius is on the order of 600 lbs, not 1000 lbs.
    Yes, I hate the dumb myth about hybrid car batteries too. It's just one of many stupid myths. :(
    Agreed.
    As for how it drives, from your sig (and me owning a weaker sports car than yours), you will definitely NOT like how it handles or accelerates. The Prius isn't a sports car. Its acceleration is adequate and the power mode makes the go pedal more responsive.

That said, I don't mind driving my Prius. It's much more relaxing to drive than my Z which has very heavy steering, high noise levels, and a very rough and bouncy ride but w/FAR better acceleration, brakes, handling and much more driver involvement

I HATE driving my Z and non-hybrids in city/stop and go traffic. The whole idea of all my kinetic energy being wasted as heat and brake dust when stopping and the useless burning up of gas of idling irks me.

It's too bad the Altima Hybrid isn't available in your state since it's not a CARB state. Its acceleration would be more likable to you. Nissan moved their HQ to TN and they've had a plant on Smyrna, TN for a long time. It might be available thru some dealers. But, its price might deter you. You might not be eligible for some of the huge incentives available on it (http://local.nissanusa.com/san-francisco-oakland-san-jose-area/altima-hybrid.html currently shows $4K cash back. It's sometimes $4.5K or $5K.)

Per Consumer Reports - Fuel economy vs. performance, it is MUCH faster than the Prius, HyCam and FFH. Only problem is that its trunk is TINY. When I was living back in CA and drove my mom's NAH a bunch, it felt almost like a rocket ship on the highway compared to my 2nd gen Prius.

Tideland mention the CT. Only problem is, it's even slower than the Prius in acceleration. :(

18. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    He will be insecure and unhappy in a Prius. Why put him through that, he needs a car with four doors and a rear seat to hold all the car seats.

Dodge - 2011 Charger - Design - Charger R/T Road & Track

There is no need to have an unhappy Prius owner.

19. 413X3

413X3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    With the way the OP comes across and the insulting jabs he makes, you'd think he drives a Ferrari.

20. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius