1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Retrofitting a stock navigation system

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by cjaeger, Jan 30, 2007.

1. cjaeger

cjaeger New Member

Has anybody done retofit of a stock navagation system in a 2005 Prius? I have a crashed higher end model with the JBL system and the nav. I also have a lower end Prius that I would like to retrofit with Nav. Any input?

2. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Plug-in @ Jan 31 2007, 06:47 AM) [snapback]383031[/snapback]</div>
    You would be better off installing an aftermarket GPS rather than messing with the onboard computer, MFD, etc, in your Prius. I've read in these forums that it's virtually impossible or prohibitively expensive (for what you get in the end) to do all the rewiring and programming. You would need to modify or replace the computer and install a new steering wheel and MFD.

There are excellent aftermarket installations that are better than the NAV system used in the Prius. You may not be able to duplicate the voice activation/bluetooth technology, but you'll have a unit that can be programmed when in motion, which the Prius' system will not let you do. I have an aftermarket GPS which is not as versatile as newer units, but it does allow simultaneous operation of the GPS and the mileage readout on the MFD since they are separate units. My GPS can be used in the airplanes I fly as well as in other cars, so it proved to be a good investment.

Check Priuschat; there are discussions on this subject.

Bob

3. cjaeger

cjaeger New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob Allen @ Jan 30 2007, 06:09 PM) [snapback]383041[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the advice. I do have all the parts I need from the donor vehicle...steering wheel MFD etc. My major concerns are wiring. I was intrested to see if anyone else has done this upgrade.