1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reuse Steering Knuckle??? Corrosion on Steering knuckle where wheel bearing hub assembly was seated

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by HPA, Oct 12, 2014.

1. HPA

HPA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have removed knuckle assembly and pressed out bearing hub assembly, I have the new bearing hub assembly.....
    I live in Iowa so there is corrosion on the knuckle assembly - I have removed enough that the new bearing assembly will go in....
    My question/concern
    With the corrosion removed the surface of the knuckle where the bearing will seat is not uniform all the way around. The bearing hub assembly will go in and will require pressure to do so but will the bearing last???
    I can buy a steering knuckle but do not want to if I don't have to.
    Please share your experiences with me.
    Thanks!

2. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As long as the fit is tight I wouldn't hesitate to reuse the knuckle if I were you.

You might want to apply a film of ant-seize lubricant on both pieces before pressing them together to prevent the salt water from wicking back in.

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Never-Seez Nickel. ;)

4. Hubub

Hubub New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I just had my 2005 Prius front bearing hubs removed by a shop and they cleaned the corrosion on the knuckle. The new hubs now slide in and out of the knuckle easily. Does this have to be a tight fit or is it OK to install the hub with knuckle as is? How important is this?

5. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    At the factory, clearances are probably tight but the hub should still slide in relatively easily. Those clearances probably grew when the corroded metal was removed, but with the four bolts holding it on, it will stay secure. The corrosion and tight fit aren't really a feature for attachment, more a pain.