1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Revenge of the Electric Car

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by o2cool, Jun 22, 2012.

1. o2cool

o2cool o2cool

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you have not already seen this film, then I strongly recommend it to anyone on this forum, including anyone that is considering the purchase of an electric or phev. What a great film to put this whole movement into perspective. There is no doubt that the Director's previous film, Who Killed the Electric Car (also a must see film) had an impact on the development of the electric cars of today.

If you rent the DVD, there is some incredible extra material on the disc. The best for me was the panel discussion of RotEC at the Tribecca Film Festival. Elon Musk, CEO and one of the founders of Tesla is an amazing guy, which is made clear from both the film and the panel discussion. He is a true visionary. Interestingly enough, when I opened the biz section of today's SF Chronicle, the lead story was on the launch of the Tesla S which is first being delivered today. Personally, I think that with today's battery technology, it is expensive for the average person to buy an all electric vehicle, unless it is a 2nd or 3rd family vehicle.

My only disappointment with the film was that there was no discussion of the PIP, and I believe that for most people, the PIP is the most practical pluggable vehicle today. However, I also believe that it will not be long (<10 years?) before most of us will be buying an all electric vehicle.

Bottom Line: PIP, Volt, Tesla, Leaf, BMW ev, etc, these are all great.

bisco likes this.
  2. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why wait 10 years. Bought one last month...go iMiEV

Zythryn likes this.
  3. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The film had probably already been long done by the time the PiP was released.

4. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  5. o2cool

o2cool o2cool

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congratulations. I am not suggesting that anyone should wait. However, at the current status of batteries (price/performance/recharge rate) and the current status of auto fueling infrastructure (very few locations and very few chargers), most electric vehicles are not nearly as practical as a PHEV (I include Volt in that category). The PHEV will be the bridge to the future of EV's. And, for that matter, the ordinary hybrid has been a bridge to the PHEV.

6. GCPExit12

GCPExit12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And you also have a Prius for long trips? That's totally awesome! And congratulations.

7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I would suggest rephrasing that.
    Instead of 'not nearly as practical' I would suggest 'not nearly as practical for as many people'.
    Although I would disagree with that statement as well, but am not as certain. However, I am certain that the Model S will be more practical for us than any ICE or especially PHEVs.
    Please note the "for us" part of the statement. How practical a car is, depends on the needs of the owner.

8. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I saw the movie last Thursday June 21. Great production.........

9. o2cool

o2cool o2cool

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My statement which started this thread included "and I believe that for most people, the PIP is the most practical pluggable vehicle today" . So, I did not feel a need to repeat myself in the post that you took exception too. Of course, for any vehicle decision, it always comes down to individual needs, driving habits, location, and many other things. So, clearly I agree with you on "for as many people". In any case, the post is about the film. There is a lot of discussion elsewhere in this forum on the relative merits of the PIP vs. other plug-in options. I feel that the overriding interest is on getting more electricity into our driving and less petroleum. If a Model S rings your bell, then great. I am all for it. This past week, when an acquaintance and I were riding in a friend's brand new Prius V, the acquaintance said she was considering a Volt, in part, because she wants to buy American. I told her that this was great and that my sister who drives a Volt loves it. Those of us who have seen the light should be supporting each other. Let's try to convert/influence the people driving Hummers and Escalades.

Andyprius # 1 likes this.
  10. I agree, we are the VanGuard of Electric Vehicles, it's our responsibility to educate others, if we are to make any progress with cleaner air, a quieter world and the saving of oil for more necessary uses. I am presently in Reno, and the reactions of the hotel clerks and valets are really comical when asked about plug in charger stations. 99.9% DO NOT HAVE A CLUE. We must inform them. Not the Govt, not the Administrators, not the newspapers etc but us, the users, the owners of EV s