1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reverse beep disabled! (Australia/Europe)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by tanethomas, Apr 2, 2014.

1. tanethomas

tanethomas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did it! And I now have the perfect car... This isn't a software mod, that doesn't work in Australia or Europe apparently. You'll have to actually pull apart the dash but it's really easy, I t took me 1hr total.

First step is to pull the dash apart. It is been better explained elsewhere, so google ingineerix cmremoval

Once you've pulled the largest bit of plastic, the dash itself, you'll find the instrument cluster is attached to it underneath. This is where that little speaker is that's the cause of so much distress. You can either get a drill and drill out the speaker through the little square hole in protective plastic cover being careful not to drill too far into the circuit board, which is what I would have done in hindsight. Or you can do what I did and pull the plastic cover and wiggle the speaker back and forth until it snaps off. I recommend the former option, solely because I imagine the violence would be more satisfying :)

No beeps occur, no errors occur, everything is perfect! The beeps you'll 'disable' are 1) reverse 2) seat belt 3) door open with keys in the ignition 4) attempting to engage 'b' mode from neutral

Of course, all stereo related beeps still work. I then went ahead and installed a 'dolphin' brand reverse parking sensor kit which beeps once when reverse is engaged, so I still have a nice functionality there! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow--I'm glad the NA Prii don't require that dis-assembly.

Enjoy the relaxing reversing!

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sadly, you're throwing out the baby with the bathwater on this one. The same beeper is used when the warning lights illuminate on the dash as you're driving down the road, as well as warning you if you're trying to shift into a mode that isn't currently permitted (Park while moving, Drive w/o foot on the brake, EV mode if conditions aren't ideal, etc.).

xpcman and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  4. tanethomas

tanethomas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I considered that, I really don't care, as I have eyes :) beep b gone!

cky3k likes this.
  5. tanethomas

tanethomas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a good point though, I think we should compile a list of all the beeps that come from that speaker. Edit-- I will keep this list updated so people can be more informed when making their choice. Rebuttals etc can go in the rest of the thread.

Warnings/beeps from this speaker:
    1) reversing
    2) fasten seat belts
    3) attempting to engage park while moving at speed
    4) attempting to shift to reverse while moving forward at speed
    5) attempting to shift to 'b' from neutral
    6) attempting to engage drive/reverse without your foot on the brake
    7) attempting to engage 'EV' mode when conditions aren't ideal

6. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  7. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    OK, wait a sec..............
    When these threads came up, I assumed that the backup beep was for the salvation of anybody walking behind the car at the time it was in reverse. For that to be effective, the actual buzzer would have to be at or near the back of the car and outside of the cabin.

What manner of stupidity is it that causes a beep to emanate out of the dashboard when in reverse ????
    And that can't be easily disabled no less. :(

8. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Tell me someone tried this first....

To eliminate the beeps from seatbelts and reverse, follow these steps:

1. Power on the car to IG-ON or READY. IG-ON will do for this purpose.
    2. Using the Trip/ODO button, set the Trip/ODO display to ODO (not Trip A or Trip B )
    3. Power off the car.
    4. Now power the car to READY (brake on). This is required so that step 6 works correctly.
    5. Within 6 seconds of powering on, press and hold the Trip/ODO button for 10 seconds or more (there is no indication... just count)
    6. WHILE STILL HOLDING ODO *after* the 10 seconds, shift the "gear" selector to R, then press the P button. Now release the Trip/ODO button.
    7. If the last step was successful, "b on" or "b off" should be displayed in the location where the Trip Odometer or Odometer is normally displayed (front dash area). "b on" is beep on (default), and "b off" is beep off.
    8. Press Trip/ODO to toggle the mode.
    9. Now power the car off to exit the toggle mode.
    10. Power the car on to READY and confirm the reverse beep status by shifting to R. The beep should not be audible if "b off" was selected, and should be audible if "b on" was selected..

Bruce Warner likes this.
  9. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Toyota has been putting in a lot of useless $%@#! just to keep the lawyers away. This stuff does nothing for the owner.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The beep is for the driver, to remind you you're in reverse, due to the lack of visual cues with the return- to-center joystick shifter.

Personally I like it. 90% of the time it's overkill. But once in a while I've needed the reminder

I certainly wouldn't want to buy a used prius where someone had taken it upon themselves to open the dash and cripple that speaker

11. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I might pay extra. :rolleyes:

cky3k and tanethomas like this.
  12. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you. Just another reminder of why I hated the full-size Prius's I have been in.
    The C feels more like a "normal" car. ;)

13. tanethomas

tanethomas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why I killed the speaker (bearing in mind that I live in a first world country and there are 'actual' problems out there).

1) My BMW 318i doesn't beep at me at all and I get along just fine.
    2) Every single beep works alongside a visual function. If I can't do something, I can see why in the form of a flashing light on the display.
    3) Outside of NA, Prius owners can't disable the reverse or seat belt beeps.
    4) I have installed a reverse parking sensor kit that gives me a short beep when reverse is engaged (and doesn't beep when I can't go into reverse). This ensures that the most important safety function is maintained, I know audibly when I'm in reverse. However, once again, I get along just fine without any beeps at all in my 318i.
    5) I insist that the only other relevant safety function is prominently displayed in the form of a flashing red seatbelt light on the dash for either front occupant. I don't want to be beeped at when I chuck my laptop on the passenger seat and neither does my girlfriend when she chucks her handbag there, but the passenger seatbelt light is in the driver's blind spot so it's ok.
    6) Engine faults etc seem to activate alongside the '! triangle' symbol which beeps though the stereo. This includes opening the drivers door while moving.

7) I am in beep free bliss!!!

Bruce Warner likes this.
  14. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Depends on what you class as disabled.

My car beeps once when I engage reverse. I can live with that.

My rear seat belt beepers have been deactivated.

My front seat belt beepers are there for a reason. One it's law to wear a seat belt and two, having seen first hand the mess of people not wearing seat belts even in 20 mph accidents, I'll always wear mine. You might be the best driver in the world, but it only takes that idiot to pull out on you.

But it's your car and your call. Just hope you don't get an oil pipe burst and the car beeps away at you trying to warn you ;)

Data Daedalus and WilDavis like this.
  15. Jason in OZ

Jason in OZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

just so were clear, the above sequence WILL NOT work on Australian spec Prii.
    and yes, i have tried.....

im going to ask my dealer to alter it to one beep the next time the car is there.

Jason

16. tanethomas

tanethomas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah they won't be able to help unfortunately. I have had that good fight for the past year of ownership, it's only NA prii that have the motherboard capable of having the beep altered. In the end I was installing the parrot bluetooth system and I thought, 'why not go a step further and rip that little speaker off?' Best decision of my life!!!

17. Jason in OZ

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    thats odd . ive been told by another Sydney based forum member that he had his dealer do the beep delete....

i guess ill have to see for myself when i get he next service done.

Jason.

18. tanethomas

tanethomas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please keep us posted!

19. Jason in OZ

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius