1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reving after releasing gas.

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jamz111, Sep 15, 2014.

1. jamz111

jamz111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I noticed that when I'm stepping on the gas pedal, revving up, when I release the gas pedal I can hear the engine revving up some more instead of slowing down.

When I release the pedal even if the revolution light on the dashboard shows that it is slowly dropping, the engine is still making the noise as if I am stepping on the gas harder for about a second.

Example: I am at a stop, when I start going from 0 to 30 mph, if I release the gas right away thats when I notice this issue.

This doesnt happen when I'm cruising on the same speed and suddenly release the gas.

I wonder if this is an indication the my tranny is having a problem.

I have a 2013 prius C 2

Any help will be appreciated.

2. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I've noticed this as well, but only when the car is still cold and not warmed up yet.

3. thetakara

thetakara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'm having this issue also. I just noticed it today. I have a 2013 C3 with ~19700 miles on it. I'll be taking it in tomorrow if it continues. I'll post updates if needed.

#3 thetakara, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    please do, thanks!

5. Sandal

Sandal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have been having the same issue as well..and becuz the engine revs up abnormally..it doesnt go to EV mode even at lower speeds..please keep us posted. tks

6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thetakara, Sandal. Can either of you confirm if it does this after the car is warmed up? Or does it only do it for the first couple of miles and then act normally.

7. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    was going through the grapevine, when I got caught in stop and go traffic (for a good hour)...engine would do so said behavior...however, the battery was also getting low (2bars) from the stop and go, so I'd say it's normal behavior for the engine to want to rev some to charge the battery some

minkus likes this.
  8. thetakara

thetakara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I haven't taken the car to the dealership yet. Yes, this was happening after the car was warmed up. I had been driving around for like 45 minutes or so.

I checked the car and realized that there was a garbage bag blocking one of my traction battery vents. Might want to check on that first. Since removing the bag, this issue has gone away. When I'm out of school in a few hours, I'll stop by the dealership and ask the service department if they can think of anything offhand that would cause the symptoms.

Mike4kz, minkus and ztanos like this.
  9. jamz111

jamz111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Mine does this when its warmed up

ztanos likes this.
  10. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    funny story: plenty road construction traffic. i was waiting because the cop waved Stop. of course i am first in line. my Prius c One decides to charge the battery a bit and start revving the engine super high. so the cop turns and looks at me like I'm doing it. i just kinda shook my head no and the cop then stared down the car thru the hood. i think the cop growled at my car. i am sure he was about to shoot it right thru the engine block. then the Prius suddenly shuts off. so the cop then smiles at the car, smiles at me & waves me on to go. whew,,,

11. jamz111

jamz111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I took my car to the toyota dealership yesterday. They said there's nothing wrong that they can find but could not explain to me why the car is doing what its doing. smh

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idiots.

13. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Where are you located? Maybe it never gets warm enough to quit the behavior? How far do you consider warmed up? This morning on my way to work it behaved like this the entire commute. But then again, my commute is less than 10 miles.

Can you take a video of the car doing it so that we can see if there is anything we can catch out of the normal?

14. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure if any of this applies to your situation, but:

This has happened to me once. I was leaving a concert and waiting in line to get out. I was parked on grass and there was a lot of low speed driving when entering to park, so the battery was almost drained. I started the car and drove a bit to get to the line of cars, and when the line inched up, I accelerated a bit, which made the engine rev less. When I took my foot off the gas, the engine revved up. After doing that a few times, the engine shut off. It may have happened a second time, while I was stuck in traffic somewhere else.

I assumed that was normal behavior for when the engine is warmed up but the battery state of charge falls below an acceptable level. It's also possible that the battery vent was blocked, because I don't remember if I checked that or not (edit: it happened again, same scenario and same place. vent not blocked).

#14 minkus, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  15. Twizzle

Twizzle New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    My car started playing up about a month ago, occasional revving up when the accelerator was released, not going into EV mode (switch) then sometimes started refusing to turn the engine off when coasting when fully warmed up, dropping into EV at random speeds when coasting down, and the fuel economy started to suffer. The car has just over 38,000km on it (in 11 months).
    It went in to Toyota today to investigate the problem, they didn't have a clue, even when I went back later and took a tech for a drive and showed off the odd behaviour when fully warmed up.
    When I got home, I found there is a mesh screen on the front of the traction battery fan and it was blocked by fluff from the carpets. I removed the plastic cover, vacuumed the screen and the car now appears to be working properly again. Looking at the service items on the checklist, checking/cleaning the fan screen isn't a maintenance item - but it really should be! So - shine a torch in the air inlet and see how much fluff is in there.

kadeR, minkus and robertmaria like this.
  16. Twizzle

Twizzle New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to add... cleaning the screen has made a HUGE difference in urban fuel economy, in the region of 10%. While economy had sat between 4.1 - 4.4lt/100km (mainly depending on temperature), I'm having no trouble achieving 3.7lt/100km now. That damned battery must have been overheating for most of the time we have had the car.

17. grill vogel

grill vogel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys I am having trouble locating this traction battery fan you guys speak of. I don't know much about the anatomy of my Prius c. I have this problem and want to clean this fan or vent but have no clue where it is and how to remove anything. Any help is appreciated. I'm a noob.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! the vent intake grille should be located somewhere on the face of the back seats near the seatbelt, or below the cushion. you can find it in your owners manual. the fan is a bit more complicated, and requires removal of some of the hatch area panels. if someone doesn't jump in here who knows where it is, try starting a new thread. all the best!(y)

19. grill vogel

grill vogel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks bisco. I'll take a look at the manual. should have done that first. Lol cheers

20. Matt H

Matt H Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Under the left-rear seat you'll see the grille. The round button-looking things are push snaps. Remove those, and the plastic shroud comes out, and you have access to the fan. No need to remove the fan, just clean the inlet screen with vacuum.