1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ride quality deteriorated

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Harry Pottar, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Harry Pottar

Harry Pottar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2012 V level 5, it has 28.5k and recently I feel the ride quality has become very harsh. You tend to feel every bump, jarring potholes. I just upgraded my truck and my wife things it me because the truck suspension is so soft and just makes the prius fell harsh. Going to take it in for its 30k service in a couple of weeks but is there anything/anywhere I should check in the meantime.

Tia.

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Check tire pressures, (visually) check for shock oil leakage.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would agree tire pressures. The service people could have raised them or just the heat could have increased the pressure. Set to pressures shown on sticker inside driver's door jam.

4. Nivonia

Nivonia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm also concerned about the ride of my 2012 Prius v. In fact, it's why I logged in to PriusChat today. The ride in my car has become downright jarring. It has always been harsh, but I have become genuinely concerned about it. Any bumps that I take straight-on, like the frost heave bumps we have now, make a really harsh "bang" and I'm becoming concerned that the constant jarring is going to damage other components like engine mounts. If I take them at an angle then things are okay, but this is most inadvisable when doing 70 MPH on the highway!

I've always had concerns about my rear suspension: it tends to "boom" when it hits a bump whereas the front suspension produces a normal, although stiff, "bump". The dealership looked at it but could find nothing wrong. My tires are inflated to the spec listed on the inside of the door.

#4 Nivonia, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  5. Harry Pottar

Harry Pottar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I never found out why, I took another Pirus V for a test ride and it was smooth ours is still harsh. The dealer thinks it's just us, we hardly use the car now and favor our other cars. We plan to sell this summer and look for an alternate make/model.

Very Disapointed but the ride is very hard and jarring, we do not trust in another V has we feel it may do the same thing over time and the dealer we not even acknowledge the issue.

Harry

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perhaps a different brand of tyre would help.

7. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Do check the tire pressures.
    It is amazing to me the number of "tire technicians" who think the number stamped on the sidewall is the "right" pressure.

8. mtl_sienna

mtl_sienna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1 Every time I take one of my cars in for an oil change, magically my tires are up to 47 psi!

9. Nivonia

Nivonia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    My tire pressures are exactly what's posted in the door jamb. I've checked with two separate meters, one of which is a special German-engineered thingy my Dad won at a car show! :rolleyes:

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ya, that's not the problem. i would take it to a suspension shoppe, how many miles on her?

11. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Bet the struts/shocks have leaked some oil (little to a lot), producing the awful ride you are feeling. Toyota's strut/shock warranty replacement on a new car is tough to get covered. Pretty much a lot of the oils has to have liked out for them to cover it. I believe warranty is only for 3yr/36K miles on a new car.