1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Right turn signal = high-pitched beep

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by TonyPSchaefer, Sep 2, 2008.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've noticed for the last month or so that there was a high-pitched beep/chirp. At first I blamed it on the radio. But i heard it more and more. And though I'm on PC quite a bit, I kept forgetting to post about it.

Last night, I was driving my wife and a friend around. There was the beep again. I asked if they heard it and my friend asked, "does it always do that when you turn right?" That's when it hit me: I only hear it when I'm signaling and turning right. So we tested the hypothesis. Here's a bulleted list:

• Signaling and turning right: high-pitched beep
    • Signaling and turning left: nothing
    • Turning right without signal: nothing
    • Signaling but driving straight: untested but it does beep as I drive straight approaching the turn
    • Signaling while stationary: untested
    Now that I know when to expect it, I'm going to listen for patterns. Currently, I do not believe there is a ratio to beeps per signal flashes or anything like that.

So has anyone encountered this or have a thought on what it might be?

2. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It could mean that one of the right turn bulbs has blown. While stationary, indicate right turn and get out of the car and check each of the turn lights.

3. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i can't help here, why should i post this is beyond me

my 2 cents
    ------------

the only time i have ever heard of a chirp or a beep coming from the radio is when playing a scratched/dirty cd. i believe the chirps are in indication of some kind of power disruption or time out across the prius communication bus.

this was also cause the result of someone losing their radio presets while in full ready mode, if the radio or the cd changer was the affected component

i believe the chirp is followed by an entry in the error log (in the prius diagnostic screen), you can check it to see if there has been any new entries.

i think if it was a bad signal light, one flasher would flash at a different rate or stay solid, depending on the make/model of the car

4. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    and according to the repair manual, there can be up to 34 devices connected to the BEAN that would be capable of generating errors

you should write down the contents of the lan monitor log, drive it around, reproduce the beep, and i am reasonably sure that you will find a new entry