1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Road Hazard and Skid Plate

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by phickson, Oct 4, 2015.

1. phickson

phickson Tron Pod Occupier

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    While traveling at 70 mph on the interstate the other day, a pick-up truck in front of me hit a ratchet strap and kicked it up....

rachetstrap.jpeg

The strap traveled under my Prius and made a horrifying noise all the way out the back end. The vehicle behind me straddled it and the car behind him immediately pulled over to the inside shoulder (not sure what happened to his/her car).

My low tire pressure light came on, I didn't want to change a flat on the inside shoulder of the interstate, so I was able to pull off at the next exit. The inside sidewall of my left front tire had three gashes in it and had lost all the air. I replaced it with the compact spare and was on my way.

Took it to the Toyota dealer the next day - they replaced the tire (road hazard) and checked under the Prius for damage. There was none. Apparently there are very thick plastic/metal skid plates under almost the entire vehicle which saved the car from further damage - unbelievable and grateful.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Those plates are really very thin/brittle, all-plastic. But hey: they worked. Too, this just drives home how handy a temporary spare tire can be, say compared to the pump and sealant setup.

One time, decades back, I encounter a shipping pallet on the road. The ones with a 2x4 frame covered with 1x4 boards both sides. It was laying diamond orientation in the lane, and I had no where to go but over it, doing about 70 kmh when I saw it. I slowed a bit, but hit it pretty hard. Was luck, no flats or rim damage, but it sucks when something like that happens.

Wasn't that supplied jack a joke? The cast eye connection between the rod and the jack is pathetic, not very stable, soft metal. For next time, get yourself a small square of wood to put under the jack, helps stabilize it on uneven ground. A pair of wheel chocks is handy too.