1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Road Noise Comparison

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by eurochoi, Mar 20, 2014.

1. eurochoi

eurochoi New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good afternoon all, I have a quick inquiry. I just got out of a recently broken 96 Civic and haven't had the Prius C delivered to me yet. I've been reading quite a bit about how road noise is an issue on the Prius C. Does anyone have any comparison experience when it comes to the Civic's road noise to the Prius C's?

2. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why not visit a dealer and take a C for a test drive?

The C shouldn't be any worse than the Civic. Both are economy cars, which aren't known for being silent. Tires can make a big difference in road noise, if you think its too loud, they would be a place to start looking for silenter options. But with you coming from an older Civic, the C shouldn't be a problem.

3. Slolane

Slolane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    They are about the same, I had a Civic Hybrid once as well. I really can't see what some consider to be the big deal with noise... Maybe they came from super quiet high end cars to the C but to me it's a non-issue.

4. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have a regular Prius. I have heard from different sources that complain about the road noise of the Prius. The only noise I hear is the regular hybrid noise when coming to a stop and at low speeds and that dissipates at highway speeds. Someone always has a criticism of everything. I'm happy with mine and as long as you are happy with your C that is all that matters.

5. Mark323

Mark323 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My new '13 C-4 seems pretty quiet on the highway... until I open the sunroof &/or windows. In comparison to my other car it whispers on the road at all times. My other car is a '03 SRT-4 w/ 280HP & turbo. Dodge used the turbo to muffle the sound of the engine and those cars don't come with mufflers, just catalytic converter & resonators to muffle sound. The people with a problem over the road noise in the C are just being picky IMO.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some of the extra noise is due to the factory LRR tyres which non hybrids don't usually have.

MattHoyle likes this.
  7. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You're right on that. I took a Lexus 300H for a test drive. The LRR tires on that car were unusually loud to me.

8. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Wouldn't something that creates the least amount of resistance rolling along the road cause less noise than something that wants to cause as much resistance and grip as it rolls along? I just don't understand how LRR tires would cause more noise than conventional tires in your statement?

9. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have no idea why LRR tires make more noise but they do. I think it is because the sidewalls are harder and stiffer which makes the tires roll better. That's probably pretty close.

10. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    We read the CR complaint and cheked thenoise on my kia sedan and my prissy (priusc) with mydecibel audiometer. Both have aftermarket tires of hihgh performance all weather tires. At 30 and 60 mph on same road we couldn't measure a significant difference, both in the mid 40's. I have no reason to say the C is noisy; I wonder how CR did.

11. NR427

NR427 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a 2010 Camry before and the road noise is louder but not enough to be a problem. What bothers me are all the squeaks and rattles in the dashboard.

12. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The squeaks and rattles in the Prius bothers me too. When I first bought the car I tried wedging small pieces of rubber in between the cracks everywhere I had an rattle and I gave up. It's something you have to live with. Also, the Prius has no enclosed trunk like a regular car. All the space is inside the car so you get a squeak and rattle from the rear and everywhere, especially in cold weather. Cheap plastic everywhere.

13. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A Prius C has one of the noisiest interiors of any car you can buy new today. But coming from an 18 year old Civic to a brand new Prius C would be like stepping into a Lexus. It's all a matter of perspective.

We had an 2003 and 2006 Civic. Noise went up on the Prius from the 2006 but down considerably from the 2003. 2005 and down Civics were especially noisy because the engine was from an older design.

iPhone ?

SAronian likes this.
  14. eurochoi

eurochoi New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm moving from the South to Denver in May and the only highway trips that I plan to make are going to be on the way to Colorado for the move. My wife will ultimately get the Prius C when I get there and I plan to buy a regular Prius soon thereafter for myself. It just doesn't make sense to buy a non-hybrid anymore since the prices are comparable to any other car with worse gas mileage.

But squeaks and rattles annoy the heck out of me, so I guess it's a good thing that I'm giving it to my wife in the not too distant future. Snow may be another obstacle that I'll have to overcome with some snow tires, but that's in quite a few months.

15. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    LRR tires are indeed stiffer to reduce the rolling resistance by less deformation of the tread as passes over the road surface.. That also increases to noise the treads make as they swirm across the road surface. Worse, they substantially reduce the resistance to sliding laterally in corners or braking. as any track testing will attest.

16. Tyintegra

Tyintegra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I actually tested the road noise in the C this last weekend using a decibel APP on my iPhone.

Driving on the freeway with cruise set to 60 MPH and the radio completely off, it read right at 80 decibels. The freeway was pretty smooth, on a scale of 1 to 10 on smoothness (10being super smooth), I would have given it a 7 or 8.

I took this reading from the center of the car next to the radio controls (it got louder the closer I put it to the door).

eurochoi and ftl like this.
  17. photogrl13

photogrl13 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I had a 1998 Civic LX Sedan previously. The Prius C seems quieter to me. It isn't quiet...just quieter IMHO.

18. eurochoi

eurochoi New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My Prius C was delivered late yesterday afternoon. Nothing like the new car smell..... But so far I've driven it about 70 miles today and averaged about 55mpg at about 55-60 mph and a little bit of city driving. The noise issue....is a non-issue. It's certainly quieter than my old Honda and more comfortable.

ztanos and ftl like this.
  19. Snowball

Snowball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I also had a 1998 Civic LX Sedan before my C, road noise was more noticeable in the Civic.

20. eurochoi

eurochoi New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Giving the car to the wife this weekend and picking up a 2014 Prius 3 Monday. I guess we'll be a prius family now.

orenji likes this.