1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Roof Racks for Solar Roof you can Open

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by ipatrick69, Nov 12, 2014.

1. ipatrick69

ipatrick69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Let's be clear. There is no roof rack system that allows you to actually use your sunroof.

Thule Fit web-site will tell you to use the Thule 480R with Fit Kit 1566 but if you read the fine print it says that "You may not be able to open your sunroof when the rack is installed." which is BS! I bought it, you cannot open or rather you cannot close the sunroof with the rack on.

Another thread in this forum "Yakima now supports the 2010 Prius with Solar Roof" if you read further into it he will finally admit you cannot open the sunroof.

I have seen many YouTube videos showing the installation of racks on a solar roof but conveniently never show it operating and have comments turned off.

It is a conspiacy!!! They all try and give the inpression you can keep a roof rack on your car but the sad truth is you will NEVER be able to have that luxury.

Or am I wrong?

2. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So... what is incorrect? As I see it, the 480R ar just feet and the fit kit is there to make fitting faster. Whether or not a sunroof will open depends on the make and model of the car. Apparently Thule have not checked all cars and so say "may not be able to open".
    I think you just got your hopes up. But to call it a conspiracy? What are you on about.

3. SmellyTofu

SmellyTofu Average punter

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You can physically open it to a certain extent but do you want to risk breaking the glass for the sake of it? The clearance between the front foot and the glass is very limited.