1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rough engine when accelerating in a turn and engine starting up

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by rokibler, Nov 3, 2013.

1. rokibler

rokibler Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have noticed in certain circumstances that the engine seems to be in a resonance where it is shaking noticeably and getting worse not better. It happens in two situations.

One is after gliding and slowing to make a turn (with the engine off). As I am exiting the turn and hit the gas the car shakes a lot for about a second or two, then smooths out.

The other time I have notice it is at highways speeds (about 55 mph). If there is a turn in the road (that produces the right amount of centrifugal force) and I am accelerating slightly, the car will shake for a second. In this case the engine is on before, during, and after the shaking.

I have about 45,000 miles on the car now with original tires. The tires appear to be wearing evenly, and are rotated every 5000 miles.

Sorry if this topic has been addressed in other threads. I did a quick search and didn't find anything similar. I hypermile all the time, so when I say accelerating out of a turn, I mean only the gentlest of acceleration, maybe at 1500 rpm, or with the HSI indicator of throttle just to the right of the ECO light as shown the diagram below.

Throttle position HSI v2.png

2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When was the last time you had an a alignment ? Did you change the tires lately? Were they balanced?

3. rokibler

rokibler Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Original tires with 45,000 miles on them. I have never had an alignment. The car drives smoothly at speed.

4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That is a good start. I would have the alignment done and check the tires out for uneven wear.

When the a Traction battery gets low the gasoline engine starts up and spins at a high RPM to charge the battery. You may be speaking about that vibration. Although you would be familiar with that by now.

5. DtEW

DtEW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you checked your engine oil levels? Centripetal-force-related engine misbehavior almost sounds like an engine starved for oil.

6. rokibler

rokibler Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

The oil level looks good.

7. Canard

Canard Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know very well the condition you're speaking of. I forced myself to modify my driving habits when turning corners in order to make the problem go away... not really the ideal solution, but the vibration/resonance/surging from the engine when accelerating in corners drove me nuts (I'm picky). I doubt anyone that ever rides with me in the car would notice it, it's very subtle... but definitely there.

-Iain

8. rokibler

rokibler Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I saw a Toyota Service Bulletin (TSB) on another thread that talks about engine vibration. Although the circumstances where it happens are different than the subject of this thread, the remedy is to replace the right rear engine mount. The TSB says"abnormal vibration or droning noise" may occur with ICE On after an extended cold soak in extremely low temperature conditions.

Attached Files:

JMD likes this.
  9. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Noticed a slight vibration/high frequency grinding/barely perceptible shudder on turning left on to an uphill street last night with very gentle application of accelerator to maintain slow speed until road leveled out about 200 feet from intersection. The section of road is fairly steep and its surface was dry and clean.

Noticed the same behavior from our Gen II, driving up the same corner.

I've rationalized to myself that it must have something to do with the way differential interplays or interacts with hybrid system and stability control and whatever other magic goes on down there in a Prius drivetrain during a turn when a very small amount of acceleration is applied.

Nothing broke on the Gen II and so far nothing has gone wrong with the current Gen III. Knocking on wood as I type!

10. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    EXACTLY! ......FWIW, I have talked about this in earlier posts, but it never grew any legs......IMHO, centrifugal force generated from turning is "Dumping" the pooled condensate build/up in the I/M & is being ingested by one or more cyls. causing misfiring & sometimes hammering (listen closely)......in my case, it is more prevalent during left turns & cooler weather.......again FWIW......

11. rokibler

rokibler Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Tande, do you think the TSB that replaces the I/M would help then?

Attached Files:

12. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's my understanding there have been at least two (maybe more) I/M redesigns ......I preformed the first I/M up/grade, (part# ended in *******52 I believe).......it fixed nothing.....can't say about the later "Fix's"......

13. fabrizio

fabrizio New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good Morning,
    I have the exact same problem, rough engine when accellerating in a turn and engine starting up.
    But which is the problem?
    There is a solution for this?
    thanks

14. rokibler

rokibler Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    fabrizio,

I haven't a solution for this problem. I talked to the dealer about the possibility of this problem being related to TSB 0402-11, but he didn't think so. I guess I have modified my driving patterns a little, because I don't seem to have the problem as often anymore.

15. cmderks93

cmderks93 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm,

I have an UK production Auris(same engine and intake) , with exactly the same problem. The local Toyota dealer has already cleaned the EGR system (don't know if they did clean it thoroughly and all parts) and changed the sparks and coils. In my case the problem is only there when it's colder than 10degrees celcius.

I can think of centrifugal forces, what pushes some gunk / moisture to one of the cilinders which than can't burn well. No cil or code with techstream.

Also Toyota dealer won't test anymore and don't know the solution.

Anyone solved it?