1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RPM Dependent Rattling Noise from outside of car

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by HeinzCatSoup, Jan 29, 2014.

1. HeinzCatSoup

HeinzCatSoup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys,

I recently noticed that there is a small rattling noise from outside of my 2010 that only happens during an acceleration when the engine is on.

ECO MODE

In my beautiful drawing above, it would be around the spot above during an uphill climb. The weird part is that its only at this exact RPM position, anything lower I cant hear it, any tick higher than this (when i accelerate), it goes away.

Anyone have any suggestions? I tried to do a quick search and I see some complaint about inside the dashboard, but I know mine is somewhere outside because I cant hear it unless i turn the radio off and roll the windows down.

2. hwy1north

hwy1north Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I too have this noise on a 2014. It only comes on when the eco bar is about 3/4 power or 1/4" from the red power which is where it likes to sit for my freeway commute. The sound seems to be coming from inside the dash behind the radio and the ticking sounds like a cross between an empty spray paint can rattle and a cricket. If I let off the gas or accelerate, the noise stops. Is it something to do with the recharge cycle? At first I thought it was engine ping as it only comes on with a slight load on the gas engine, and maybe it is?

HeinzCatSoup likes this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Engine knocking? Valve noise?

4. HeinzCatSoup

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    YES, it sounds like a paint can rattling very loudly. I still have yet to figure out what it is. It does not sound like an engine knocking sound though.

hwy1north if you have a 2014, you should just take it to the dealer and whatever the problem is should be covered under warranty? then maybe you can let me know what it is too.

Its starting to slowly drive me crazy. I have to take my car in for the ECU recall, so maybe I'll just pony up some $$ and have the dealer figure out what the sound is.

5. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The description sounds like pinging (preignition). Find recordings of the engine pinging and compare to yours.

6. HeinzCatSoup

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I looked up the engine ping, and no it doesn't sound like it. I should also say it doesn't sound like it's coming from the engine, but more from the bottom, if that makes sense. I'll try to record it this weekend when I have time

7. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  8. HeinzCatSoup

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    no. that is not the sound. its not coming from the dash. Its from the bottom outside. let me see if i can post a video soon