1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Running Radio etc. /Accessory Mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cyberpriusII, Nov 19, 2012.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry. This has probably been asked before. ...

How do I turn on radio, etc., if I just want to sit in the car and listen. In the old days it was click the key backwards....

I did do some searching, but am dealing with a fractured foot.

Between the pain meds, the pain etc., my patient manner is highly taxed at this moment and I am finding it difficult to scan through long threads on "cabin filters," which is where the search funtion keeps sending me when I search for "accessory mode."

As usual, toyota's manual provides no help,...,

With my lack of mobility for the next 20 or so weeks, I foresee that I will be finding myself left behind in the car quite often and while the IPOD will suffice most of the time, in some locations of my misty woods, the Prius reception wins hands down.

2. Weezie25

Weezie25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    i don't know for 09 model, but for 12, press the start button twice w/out pressing on the brakes. hope this helps

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From IG-OFF, press the POWER button once, without depressing the brake pedal. This will put the car in ACC-ON mode and you can play the radio. If your 12V battery has a good charge, you can operate the radio under this mode for a few hours at a time. The radio may turn off automatically after one hour (this will reduce the likelihood of an unintended battery drain) but you can turn it back on.

If you have any doubt about the condition of your 12V battery, make the Prius READY so that the 12V battery will be charged by the DC/DC converter within the inverter.

Good luck with your recovery process!

If you press the POWER button 2x, the car will be in IG-ON mode with most of the dashboard warning lights on. This mode will quickly drain the 12V battery and should be avoided.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You are correct but this is not recommended as this discharges the 12 volt battery and could leave you stranded. The best method is to leave in ready mode this will keep both batteries charged.

5. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whenever I get into the car it is in "IG-OFF," right?

For example, I drive the Prius to the pet store to buy some mice.

I drive said Prius and the mice home. Pull up to the house, push the park button, push the power, go inside the house and take ample amounts of Percocet. At this time the car is sitting outside in IG-OFF??

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, when the Prius is turned off, it is IG-OFF. Prius has four operating modes:

- IG-OFF which means that the car (ignition) is turned off

- ACC-ON which enables the accessory mode, allowing you to play the radio and look at the MFD

- IG-ON which powers up all electrical systems but the car is not operational; hence many warning lights are lit. You can use this mode to lower the power windows, for example. This mode should be avoided for any duration longer than a few minutes due to heavy drain on the 12V battery.

- READY which allows the Prius to be driven.

I'm afraid to ask why you need to buy mice as you previously had a problem with your Prius being mouse-infested.

7. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unless you are indoors, I would opt for the ready mode with the parking brake on.

Due to the special car that the Prius is, this mode is imho by far the most appropriate setting for listening to your radio.
    It never wastes fuel.
    It will fill the 12V battery from the HV battery.
    It will fill the HV battery with the engine, but only when needed.

(I always use it this way, but I have an amplifier, so I draw 2-5 times more power than you do, depending on listening level, but I would still advice you to do the same).

giulia likes this.
  8. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hope the mice made a nice snack, the other reply's , especially Patrick's is what you need to d! This is a practice I perform every time I am in an "In and Out" burger line. Pull in , shut off car, press once, listen to radio!
    Hope the foot heals quickly, I am very familiar with Percocet, it works well.
    Just be really careful if you have to drive!

9. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ever so helpful Prius People:

Thank you all so much for the replies! A great help. You are all terrific.

I don't envision using the radio much, just possibly to listen to part of an Oregon Duck football game, or maybe CarTalk on NPR.

The mouse comment was a bit of a joke. Don't need to buy the 'rascaly rodents, there are plenty of them in the surrounding forest....A family nested on the cabin filter in October. I killed three newborns and two adults. The capture of the adults might make a good thread for Fred's House of Pancakes....

Six Percocet left -- no refills :eek: