1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rust? And possibly paint oxidation?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Coqui, Feb 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Coqui

Coqui Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey everyone, I'm trying to figure out a couple of things as I'm working a bit on my car. I'm trying to figure out if I have rust on my paint. It is located on both sides at the bottom of the rear side of the back doors.

[​IMG]
    Here's a close up on the same thing, same pattern on the other side of the car
    [​IMG] http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz242/Jdpr86/20160213_180717_zps1gw11vue.jpg

If anyone can figure out where that came from, that would be great, but I really just want to figure out if it's rust or what, and how to take care of it. Would appreciate any info on this.

And here's where (I believe) is the paint oxidation.
    [​IMG]
    You can see the outline from the Carmax sticker from when I removed it. The paint is dull and hazy there. Any recommendation on products or how to handle it would be great.

Thanks in advance! Here's a full shot for anyone curious. Just got the tints done on Thursday. Llumar ceramics, come in at around 30% all around.

[​IMG]

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It looks like you just have dirt or tar around those clear plastic stickers that are protecting the paint.

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1 on the dirt and tar. Also paint's looks weathered on back end. Probably been polished heavily a few times and then allowed to weather. The only real fix would be to repaint and or clear coat again.

Best of luck to you.

4. Coqui

Coqui Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the response. It was one of the few things on an otherwise pristine used car. Not sure exactly what they did with the car, and I thought myself possibly just a bit of sun damage, as I know it was parked outdoors. I'll try a clear coat and see how that goes before I decide to get it repainted.

5. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It's most likely mold under the clear paint stickers/ protectors -- take some bleach on a rag and wet it down ....let sit for 10 min and hose it off with some dish detergent ... wax it.

It's odd that the clear coat would fail so soon -- does it look as if any pant work was done?

I did the rear hatch on my older Nissan Pathfinder last year -- I used a kit bought online. Came with primer and matched top coats and clear coat. I was surprised how well it worked .. all for about $50. And this was a white pearl paint with two top coats and the pearl clear coat -- four spray cans.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I never quite understood the reason for those clear plastic bits. They've been dutifully replaced by a body shop on ours too, both sides now I think, due to accidents. There was another post here, someone looking to buy I think, and wondering about similar condition. I would think they're applied as a protective measure, but they seem more a liability.

Is the car usually parked outside? That would likely be a factor.

7. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    They are to protect the paint from sand abrasion. The air over the body at high speeds directs small particles to that location.

8. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like she needs a good detail... Suggest you take a look at autogeekonline.net for some ideas if you want to invest in products and knowledge to DIY. Otherwise, a good pro might be able to correct some of the past sins.

9. Coqui

Coqui Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I've been reading up at autogeek and making a list of things I'll need to get. I do know the previous owner parked the car outside as they lived in an apartment building. At the moment I'm also parking it outside as I have some unfinished projects in my garage I haven't had the time to finish up. I also don't believe it has had prior paint work to it, other than a few touch up spots around 1 side of the car. I'm not sure what kind of care was given before, so I'm not too sure how to go about polishing the car at the moment. I joined the autogeek forums last night so hopefully I'll get more detailed info in there about all those little tidbits I have no idea about.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe just pull off those plastic pieces, and give the car a good polish. You can get replacements, I know our body shop did, but I'm sceptical of their value.

11. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have had good luck with the Duragloss line or products as they have a really great shine and fairly low cost relative to the other boutique polishes. For heavier scratches I use Meguairs 105. All are applied with a porter cable polisher.

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It looks like the paint on the hatch is delaminated. If it was from not washing & waxing I'd expect more damage on the car especially on the roof. If someone used the top edge as a handle I could understand the wear on the left side. If the panel isn't stripped and repainted it'll come back maybe a year or so after the warranty expires.

13. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On the sticker that says CARMAX? Just remove the sticker.

14. Coqui

Coqui Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I removed the Carmax sticker a year ago when I got the car, the part of the hatch in the picture was already like that, but you can still see Carmax because the section under the sticker was protected by it.

Thanks for all the advice. If the stickers are easy to remove, I'll probably do that and not bother replacing them. If the car was new and the paint was pristine I might consider it, but I think just giving it a good wash and wax will take care of it for me. Besides possibly a repaint if it needs it on that panel.

15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest you first try a tar-remover solvent or paint thinner to see whether the plastic will clean up. If it doesn't, use a hair dryer to warm up the plastic before you try to remove it.

Coqui and Mendel Leisk like this.
  16. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The piece with the CARMAX sticker is just plastic trim, and easy to remove. You might be able to find one at a junkyard.

#16 Rebound, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  17. Coqui

Coqui Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any idea where I can find some info on removing the part?

18. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    heat it up with a hair-dryer or a heat gun & just pull it off/
    it's not really a 'part', just a piece of transparent foil/

edit: oops, I got that wrong; I thought you were talking about the foil/

#18 StarCaller, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  19. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry, it took me a little while to find. It can be found in steps 31-40 of the document I've attached. This describes a larger procedure of installing a backup camera, and removing that trim piece is part of it.

I did this a long time ago. It's a little painful, in that you have to remove all of the plastic trim from the inside of the hatch, beginning at the top of the hatch, then the two side pieces, and then the big plastic piece at the rear. Toyota sells a tool for prying off the plastic fasteners. You will destroy some of these fasteners in the process of removing them, but you can buy replacements from Toyota. There's a Sticky Thread in this area about installing a radio in the Gen III Prius, and lots of people talk about this process. I'm not all that good with my hands, and I did it. It's not as easy as just removing a few bolts, but it's not difficult, either.

Attached Files:

Coqui likes this.
  20. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    naah, you'll not gonna destroy nething/
    just take your time, be careful & pull everything apart gentle/
    I did this already a few times & didn't destro nething/

side note: put a rag or something over the latch; once you unplugged the lock it's very likely to fall down & get stuck in the locked position/
    then you have to crawl in & open it by hand....
    (yep, been there, done that....)

Coqui likes this.