1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. DenToyPri05

DenToyPri05 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i was waxing my Prius and came across three little dots. i thought these were slight irregularities in the paint, but when i looked closer, i saw that they were tiny rust spots. the paint didn't look like it popped recently, no sharp edges, but in any case, there they are, well-aged rust-colored rust spots. they are each less than 1/8" in diameter and are on the roof, about 4" from the windshield.

suggestions on how to fix these and prevent any others?

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a battle solving a problem with what appeared to be a whole lot of rust spots all over my new Prius. Turned out they were not rust spots but an environmental contaminate that somehow got on the surface and worked their way under the clear coat. It was weird, because you could not feel or see and avenue of entry, they appeared to all the world to be smoothly and deeply UNDER the clear coat.

So my first question is are you SURE they are rust spots? To the casual observer, and even someone looking pretty hard, my spots looked very much like rust spots..coming up from the metal. Determining that they were NOT was difficult, many experts and professionals were stumped. People who should of known, who actually make their living dealing with paint, paint finishes and detailing...many had no idea.

If they are NOT rust spots...you have better options. Mine were ultimately removed with careful and skilled buffing.

In my investigation process, what I learned was if there was a defect with the metal or rust coming UP from the metal, you were basically screwed. Not much option but going all the way down to the metal, and repainting. Which isn't the end of the world, but isn't particularly easy or cheap. And in that case if you are showing one or two spots, the danger or fear is that more will manifest in time. Rust is automotive finish cancer.

If it's a 2005 that hasn't shown any rust spots up to now? My GUESS is it's actually something that has gotten on top of your paint, not something that is manifesting from the metal itself.

But in search for remedy that is what you must determine first.

You can try some of the less intrusive methods. Cleaner Waxes, and polishes. Mine were absolutely NOT removable by any easy, or hand powered method. Ultimately it took a LOT of work, from the ONE paint expert I found that was convinced he could remove them.

Again, I took my vehicle to many Body Shops, Automotive Painters and Detailers, MOST of them thought everything from rust to a defect in the metallic of the paint itself.

With this problem, finding the "expert" with the right diagnosis and the skills to solve the problem, was the most challenging part.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    of course, we are talking about a ten year old car. i recommend a good body shoppe.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck finding one.
    I took my Prius to many, and searched reviews for some of the highest rated and respected.

Most defaulted to simply not knowing or being sure, most defaulted to the idea that my only choice was to repaint.

Took months, and a little luck for me to find a body shop that KNEW it wasn't a defect with the metal.

If I was the OP the first step I would take would be trying some of the commercially available products (cleaner waxes, polishes, and possibly clay bar) he might be able to remove the spots himself. Mine were so deep it was impossible to do by hand. Might NOT be the case with the OP.

I was also told that with any surface contaminate the longer you wait, the deeper they can work into your clear coat. So expediency in reaction might be a factor.