1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rust starting to rear its ugly head....

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ualdriver, Feb 25, 2011.

1. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a 2004 Honda (purchased OCT 2003) that is just starting to show some rust around the edges of a couple of body panels and on the indentation on a rear quarter panel that the gas cap cover seats into. The car has seen about 9 winters with salted roads.

Is there anything I can do to slow/stop the rust progression? Or is the appearance of rust just inevitable in a 9 year old car that lives in a community that salts its roads? I have never owned a car this "old" before, so I'm not sure if there are some precautions I can take to slow the rust progression other than frequent washes to keep the salt off the car which we already do.

Advice or comments?

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Move to California. Stay away from the ocean though. :madgrin:

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, despite promises by car makers that they have cured rust issues, after time a car driven on salted roads will start rusting. Usually in hidden areas first. By the time you see it on a body panel, the rust is very advanced underneath

I used to believe in Rust Check. The product works, but the quality of installation has declined so badly that I would be wary of taking any vehicle to a Rust Check dealer now

With my '04 Prius, I carefully sprayed Fluid Film into weep holes, wheel wells, and other exposed components. Wish I had taken some photos of that process

I actually documented the process with my FJ. These are photos I took 2 years after initial application.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided 2 year reapplication was good. This is right after reapplication

[​IMG]

Manitoba doesn't salt the highways anywhere nearly as much as Ontario or Minnesota does.

With rust, once it is visible on exterior body panels, it tends to progress very rapidly. It isn't called "car cancer" for nothing

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my daughters 04 is pristene. we use as much salt as anybody. i'm sure there's some hidden rust somewhere, but no complaints so far. of course, i come from the era when the dealer sold you undercoating and the car started rusting when you drove it off the lot. interestingly, another daughters 99 accord started rusting in the mid 2000's and now the hood, fenders and rockers all have large corrosion areas and small holes all the way through.

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I sold my 97 accord last year. No rust.

6. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, sounds like I will just have to accept the rust, huh?

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I once took a graduate course in Corrosion. About the only thing I can remember from the course is that your car is thermodynamically doomed to become a pile of iron oxide. You can slow it down somewhat, but you cannot change the fact that the reaction from iron to iron oxide has a huge negative [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibbs_free_energy"]Gibbs free energy[/ame].

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    rust is like oil consumption. no matter how we try to slow it down, it's inevitable.

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yep, once your car is infested with the tin worm there's not much you can do to stop it.