1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Safest position for toddler car seat? Is center ok to use other latch?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by yazyazoo, Jun 30, 2014.

1. yazyazoo

yazyazoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello,
    Just purchased a Prius Plug in Base yesterday and am awaiting delivery today. I have a 3 year old daughter and was wondering where other Prius owners put their car seats?

We have a Acura MDX that has 6 LATCH connector for rear passenger, center, and driver side. On the Prius I only see 4 LATCH on the passenger and driver side seats. Is it OK to put the car seat in the center and use the two side LATCH connectors?
    Thanks.

2. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The manual specifies using only the two outer seat positions for LATCH.

This exploded diagram shows the LATCH anchor bars, which are two separate pieces, parts 73705 and 73706:
    Prius Rear Seat Plastic Latch Cover | PriusChat

If a child seat is put in the middle, it would be connected to the inner end of each of the two anchor bars, which may result in an insecure or unsafe fitting.

3. Squirt

Squirt Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have 2 kids now, so not much choice, but when we only had one, the seat was in the middle. For my old car, this meant mounting using the seatbelt. Neither LATCH nor seatbelt mount are inherently safer(LATCH obviously being more convenient), but putting the seat in the middle is definitely keeping it farther from any points of impact.

4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you read the seats' instructions further you'll find a trend to switch to belt above a certain weight. I think the belt is safer.... ;)

SCH-R530M ?

5. yazyazoo

yazyazoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

So you one LATCH from each side to mount in the middle? I find it odd that the seat backs have 3 LATCH anchors behind them but the seats only have 4 LATCH. So since there is a middle LATCH anchor on the back it must be OK to put the car seat in the middle? ftl feels that this may be unsafe.

Does Toyota remain ambigous so that it can not get into legal trouble to say the center positions is safe?

Thanks.

6. PlugInPriusNH

PlugInPriusNH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My car seat has a latch on the back that I latch into the top seat while using with the seat belt in the middle. The seat feels much more secure.

7. Gruvin2

Gruvin2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have had 3 car seats in the back many times. I keep my youngest in the center using the LATCH system. The other seats are just booster seats so I use the seat belts for them. I don't feel comfortable enough putting my toddler car seat in any other place but the middle. I did read in the manual that it is not recommended by Toyota to use the center seat with the LATCH system. To be clear for yaz the LATCH anchors in the back of the seats can be used regardless if using the LATCH system or seat belts.

8. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I suspect that's probably the case. You could call corporate and see it they'll commit themselves:
    Toyota Customer Experience Center: 1-800-331-4331

9. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    In another thread there's a photo of the Plug-in back seat with everything removed so that the LATCH rails are clearly visible. I would think that the rails are the same on other models.

In the photo you can see that each end of the LATCH rail has a single fixing bolt directly behind the attachment point, so in theory the load on each bolt should be the same no matter where the child seat is affixed.

10. drs33

drs33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can't use the lower LATCH anchors to install a car seat in the center position in the Prius (or in most cars, actually--only a few manufacturers allow "borrowing" the LATCH anchors to install with LATCH in the center, and almost none give you six anchor points like Acura does). You can install in the center using the seat belt, though, which is pretty easy (that's what we've always done) and just as safe. (In fact, you must use the seat belt anyway once your child is about 40 p0unds, because LATCH anchors are not approved to hold a weight of more than 65 pounds--car seat plus child.) Toyota is not ambiguous about this--it's explicitly forbidden (and most other car manufacturers have the same policy). Not worth messing around with, IMO, because technically speaking, a seat installed in the center with LATCH is not legal and not covered by your insurance should anything happen. But it really is easy to learn the seat belt install, I promise!